No announcement yet.

New Merger

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Merger

I know this has been discussed a million times on a million websites, and I have gone through this multiple times as recently as 18 months ago. But today is today and technology changes rapidly. So I am calling all AD/Exchange/MS experts to help me with planning my merger. At this time things are not yet black and white, I know half the equation very well and am learning the other half daily. Below are some facts:
    • The two companies are the exact same size
    • Domain1 functional level is 2003R2; all DC's are 2012R2
    • Domain2 functional level is unknown
    • Domain1 name has to change; domain2 doesn't
    • Domain1 running Exchange 2010
    • Domain2 running Exchange 2013
    • Both companies have SharePoint; Domain1 is on premise 2013 Domain2 unknown

Initial thoughts new Forrest do inter-forrest migration. I have done a couple of these and always run into client issues, mostly with Outlook and their cached emails and of course groups. I would like to hear some thoughts on this little bit of information from people who have recently gone through these types of domain changes. Looking for suggestions, warnings, anything that anyone would like to share.

Re: New Merger

any reason you couldnm't just merge Domain1 straight into domain2 ?
    that seems easiest and most direct...
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Re: New Merger

Merging one to two is definitely on the table. The companies are small, little more than 100 each. My thinking was new start, both companies have been around for a long time, company one was on a Novell Network running Groupwise and migrated to NT4 then 2000 then 2003 domain levels. I have found and cleaned remnants of that before. AD is dirty, and the other company I am assuming is probably similar.