Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A dc must be turned off every now and then

Hello,

I have a DC which I have to turn off every now and then for a few days. There are other two DCs in the forest. The one that is turned off does not hold any FSMOs.

Long ago I read that having a DC turned off could be an issue , and that is why I come here to ask. Could it be so?.

I turn it off for several days and then it is on again for one month or so, even longer.

Thanks in advance!
    -
    Madrid (Spain).

Re: A dc must be turned off every now and then

It's only an issue if you have it turned off for long periods, as if it gets far enough out of sync with the domain it will get tombstoned and then need to be demoted and re-promoted before it will work as a DC again. 60 days is the default tombstone period IIRC.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Thanks Cruachan.

Yes, I knew this tombstone issue but I read somewhere that it was another issue, a different one. This person did not specify the issues, but he basically said that having the dc's off and on can create some problems.

-
      Madrid (Spain).

Comment

I would not expect any issues except if the main DC became unavailable - a few days should not cause any replication problems
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
          It's only an issue if you have it turned off for long periods, as if it gets far enough out of sync with the domain it will get tombstoned and then need to be demoted and re-promoted before it will work as a DC again. 60 days is the default tombstone period IIRC.
          Microsoft suggest increasing any 60 day tombstone life to 180 days. One of the reasons was it increases the useful life of backups.

You can "untombstone" a Server so it isn't necessary to demote it and DCPromo it again. Check out the post HERE.

[Add reg hack for convenience]
          Code:
          Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NTDS\Parameters]

"Allow Replication With Divergent and Corrupt Partner"=dword:00000001
          Last edited by biggles77; 20th November 2014, 15:01.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
            Microsoft suggest increasing any 60 day tombstone life to 180 days. One of the reasons was it increases the useful life of backups.

You can "untombstone" a Server so it isn't necessary to demote it and DCPromo it again. Check out the post HERE.

[Add reg hack for convenience]
            Code:

"Allow Replication With Divergent and Corrupt Partner"=dword:00000001
            Didn't know that, thanks for the info.

Should also add that the one issue I have seen, and quite often, with DCs being powered off regularly, is the server going into Journal Wrap. Check the FRS logs in Event Viewer for this one (On 2003 Servers, it's one of the AD logs on 2008+ IIRC), it's a rather nice error in that the fix for the issue is in the error message in the logs.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Wow !!

Amazing info from you all, thans a lot, what a great forum !!
              -
              Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Should have included this in my above post. If you do use the hack, do NOT forget to disable it after use.

Code:

"Allow Replication With Divergent and Corrupt Partner"=dword:00000000
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks a lot Biggles77 !!
                  -
                  Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
                    Should also add that the one issue I have seen, and quite often, with DCs being powered off regularly, is the server going into Journal Wrap.
                    I've only seen this on servers that are not gracefully shutdown.
                    Regards,
                    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                    X