Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Object Picker cannot open because no locations from which to choose objects can be

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Object Picker cannot open because no locations from which to choose objects can be

Hi,
    When I try in AD management console in the domain controller to add a new group for a user I get the following error:
    "Object Picker cannot open because no locations from which to choose objects can be found" error message when you try to select objects from an Active Directory domain in Windows 2000
    Our domain controller is a W2000 cluster (two W2000 advanced server machines) and this happens in one of the nodes of the controller while in the other node it Works well (the difference between them is where it fails, has the resources: print, file sharing and quorum services). Both nodes of the controller have the remote registry service disabled and in the node where it fails when you start this service it works well but I don`t think this is the reason because in the other node with remote registry service disabled it works. Solutions from the following support articles don`t work:
    kb 263231
    kb 284914
    I have checked that the situation is independent of the domain administrator who tries to add the group to the user.

Can anybody help me? Which is the reason of this different behaviour from one cluster node to another ?
    Thanks.

Re: "Object Picker cannot open because no locations from which to choose objects can

Windows 2000 is no longer supported - have you got your migration planning underway?

It's a big jump to go from 2000, to 2012.
    I can't say I've ever heard of clustered DCs either
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Re: "Object Picker cannot open because no locations from which to choose objects can

Hi,

Thanks for your answer but for us, it is not posible to update the system now and we have this problem. Perhaps somebody knows this technology and can help us.

Comment

According to the quick Google search I have done you require the remote registry service to be enabled on both systems for it to work.

I would also like to point out that we are all members of this forum and give our free time to try and assist people with issues that they may have. I understand English may not be your first language but comments like "Perhaps somebody knows this technology can help us." is not really conducive to receiving help.

As has been mentioned Windows 2000 is now 15 years old and is not supported by Microsoft so maybe its time to start updating to a newer OS version.

Comment

Hi wullieb1,

First of all, thanks for your answer. Sorry for my english, It is difficult sometimes and I didnīt want to mean anything different from perhaps someone could know the problem because he had worked with W2000 clusters and found it in the past (it is all, I didnīt want to mean another thing). Sorry again if the expression wasn`t right. For us it is not possible to update the system now.

Best Regards.
          Last edited by pim; 11th November 2014, 01:06.

Comment

Originally posted by pim View Post
            Hi wullieb1,

First of all, thanks for your answer. Sorry for my english, It is difficult sometimes and I didnīt want to mean anything different from perhaps someone could know the problem because he had worked with W2000 clusters and found it in the past (it is all, I didnīt want to mean another thing). Sorry again if the expression wasn`t right. For us it is not possible to update the system now.

Best Regards.
            No problem. I understand that English is not your first language so I was just making you aware that it may not seem to mean what you think it did.

There was a thread I seen on JSI that did say that if you were connected to the PDC Emulator then you wouldn't have the issues. As there is only one per domain this could be related.

http://windowsitpro.com/windows/jsi-...ts-could-be-fo

As the issue gets resolved with the remote registry turned on I would leave it on, I always thought it was enabled by default anyway

http://serverfault.com/questions/533...-lan-windows-7

Comment

Thanks very much for your answer.

Comment

Working...
              X