Server2008R2 Active Directory Query

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server2008R2 Active Directory Query

My applications run on Windows server 20008R2. We have two 2008R2 domain controllers in Country A on same network.

My application needs to be installed with a specific domain users & can run only run with those users. I cannot disjoin domain else I have to reinstall my applications.

Some of the servers which are part of domain at country A are being sent to Country B but without domain controllers. Majority servers will keep running in country A with theses two DC.

If I setup a new DC in country B with same domain name & create groups & users (keeping same names & PW); my applications are not going to work because SID will be all different.

So I am being told that I will be given image of DC from country A & I then restore on a new HW machine & I have been told that this will work.

The computers from country B will need to go to country C after my application configuration is done on servers along with my DC.

The computers & DC from country A will also come to country C after 6 to 9 months along with their two DC & my servers will need to join the original DC of country A.

Question: 1

Is above concept going to work in Country B & then in Country C again? What are the loop holes?

Question:2

I was thinking that the better option would be as per below.

As there are two DC in county A, they should first identify which is a Master DC & then shut down that DC. They should send this DC to me to country B along with application servers. Once main DC is shut down, the second DC will become Master for country A.

As I get original DC & servers together, all will be ok for me at country B for my application configuration to continue.

Country B system will then go to site in country C first & will be up and running. The DC from country A with balance servers will then come to site in country C & will then become secondary DC.

Request for your advice. If option 2 is better, can you please technically support it with arguments?

Is there any better & assured option to avoid reinstallation of applications?
    PS: Network between Country A, & B is not going to connected fro any replication. There will be independent application configuration work going on in parallel.

Re: Server2008R2 Active Directory Query

The whole setup sounds weird, and (while it might work) seems very dangerous

Why can't you establish VPNs and have a single domain environment across all 3 countries?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Will the application be used at both locations at the same time? If not, how about setting the server up, installing the application and then configuring user access where it will be used.
      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

ossian's suggestion i the best.
        Setup a VPN tunnel from countryb and countryc, back to countryA.
        then, the same domain exists in each location and you can move servers around between them.

(it's a little more complex, but far simpler than what you're trying to suggest)
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by ajaytrivedi View Post
          ... PS: Network between Country A, & B is not going to connected fro any replication. There will be independent application configuration work going on in parallel

Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to use an image?
          A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Working...
          X