why cannot add users to security group when right clicking group object

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why cannot add users to security group when right clicking group object

Why I cannot add users to Security Group object when right click and select add to a group. DCs 2008 domain level 2003. Accessing ADUC from W8.1
    Last edited by mla; 17th September 2014, 16:03.
    "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Re: why cannot add users to security group when right clicking group object

Why don't you start by telling us when happens when you try it.

Comment

found the answer...

take an example: need to add 10 users from 10 different OUs to a newly created (or existing) security group.

First thing that comes to the mind is to right click on the group object and you see the option Add to a group.
      But here you cannot add users...

And the answer is click Properties -- Members tab-- Add..

Why Add to a group means that you can add groups to a group only and not users?
      I guess it would be more appropriate to have Users and then Groups selections under the Add to a group.
      "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Comment

sorry joe,

from my initial post it was not clear what was my problem when right clicking....
        I did a screenshot but for some reason I could not attach it (was just 30K png file) (upload of file fail). So may be my previous answer to my question will let you understand what was my problem.

Comment

I think you have things the wrong way around - right clicking on an object and selecting "add to a group" will let you add that object to a different group
          If I understand you, you are right clicking on the group to which you want to add the users - you need to right click on the user and add to the group
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

this is exactly what I need and got it finally right (I guess ,

I gave an example:

the need is: add 10 users from 10 OUs to a group...
            Isn't crazy to find each user and add it to a group.

Sure it is more straight forward to add users by selecting one group.
            The Add to group is confusing... and could be more user friendly
            But when you right click a group -- properties -- members tab...
            Voila, here users can be easily added.

I am not talking about adding 100 users but 10 from different OUs.

Comment

Originally posted by mla View Post
              this is exactly what I need and got it finally right (I guess ,

I gave an example:

the need is: add 10 users from 10 OUs to a group...
              Isn't crazy to find each user and add it to a group.

Sure it is more straight forward to add users by selecting one group.
              The Add to group is confusing... and could be more user friendly
              But when you right click a group -- properties -- members tab...
              Voila, here users can be easily added.

I am not talking about adding 100 users but 10 from different OUs.
              I'm not sure how add to group could be more friendly to be honest. It does exactly what it says, adds a user/group to a specified group.

Comment

Working...
              X