Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deploying software through group policy with certain requirements

Here is the question:

I have an existing Active Directory environment, consisting of 300 computers. we need to install the latest version of ADOBE ACROBAT READER to all computers with the following requirements:

. The application is not supported on windows XP
    . We need to have automatic updates turned off within the application
    . We need a silent, automatic installation.
    . The Engineer Department needs to be excluded, as they use Proprietary PDF app.

Is is possible to deploy thru Group Policy and meet all these so called requirements ?

Re: deploying software through group policy with certain requirements

Adobe can supply an MSI for Acrobat reader - you need to agree to the license on behalf of your organisation - so it can be deployed via GPO, but I have no idea if the MSI accepts switches for a quiet install and for updating

Unlike GP Preferences, targeting is difficult, but a suitable WMI filter would exclude XP - you would need to create an OU structure to exclude the Engineering Department.

Call me naturally suspicious, but this reads very like an exam question
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The Adobe Reader MSI has to be extracted from the EXE. When you "subscribe" to the Adobe apps, there is an option to allow or not allow the Reader install to automatically Update. I usually don't allow Updates as they require and Admin account to allow that and the Lusers aren't given that sort of permission. Reader install silently.

Updates can be managed via SCCM or through Local Update Publisher which is tacked onto WSUS. Non MS apps can be updated easily this way.

Mmm, is does look like an exam question, doesn't it. The engineers need to be in an OU that is not affected by the Adobe Reader GPO.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
        Updates can be managed via SCCM or through Local Update Publisher which is tacked onto WSUS. Non MS apps can be updated easily this way.
        I've been looking, not very hard mind you, for something like this for a while.

Cheers Chris. That's another beer I owe ya

Comment

Originally posted by vesterlee2008 View Post
          . The application is not supported on windows XP
          Create a WMI filter matching OSes from Vista onwards, and use it to scope the GPO.
          . We need to have automatic updates turned off within the application
          Download the .msi version of Adobe Reader from the Adobe web site, use msiexec to create an administrative install area (it's all explained in the Adobe docs) and then use Adobe Customization Wizard to turn off automatic updates.
          . We need a silent, automatic installation.
          Same as above. Using Adobe Customization Wizard, you can create an .mst file with lots of different settings. It's extremely easy to use.
          . The Engineer Department needs to be excluded, as they use Proprietary PDF app.
          If the computers in the Engineering Department have their own OU in Active Directory, simply exclude that OU. If not, you'll have to create a WMI filter matching some other criteria, or add relevant computer accounts to a security group used for GPO scoping purposes.

(And yes, this does indeed sound like an exam question.)

Comment

I just want to say thanks for all your help. it was much appreciated

Comment

Just to add to what has already been said above, these URL's should help fill in some blanks.

Group Policy Adobe Acrobat Reader
              http://community.spiceworks.com/how_...acrobat-reader

Useful WMI Filters.
              http://www.aboutcher.co.uk/tag/wmi/

Windows 2003 - Group Policy WMI Filters
              http://www.computerperformance.co.uk...MI_filters.htm
              Last edited by uk_network; 21st August 2014, 07:14.
              Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
              I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
              MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Working...
              X