Active Director one windows server 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active Director one windows server 2003

My operating system is microsoft server 2003 standard edition. Im having a slight with using quick books on my domain, I keep receiving a message that the user provided was created with restricted access to system resources, how can I change the group policy just to make them standard users, or power users. The problem that i faced was im using standard edition it does not have power users built in how can i create this group with my domain using active directory.
    Thanks in advance

Re: Active Director one windows server 2003

Did you actually read the name of this Forum??? It says Wall of Fame. This is NOT a Wall of Fame question you have. If you have trouble posting into the appropriate forum then might I suggest you get a professional in to fix your problem..
    Last edited by biggles77; 27th January 2006, 00:07.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thread moved to proper forum.
      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

wow where to begin with this one...

Originally posted by seperoth
        My operating system is microsoft server 2003 standard edition. Im having a slight with using quick books on my domain, I keep receiving a message that the user provided was created with restricted access to system resources, how can I change the group policy just to make them standard users, or power users.

are all your clients using win2k3 as client os's? or is your domain win2k3?. In either case, when you join them to the domain at the very LEAST all your users are standard users. The problem you are having, putting them into standard user will NOT help, as its most likely an access problem with either a registry key or file/folder permission. You can't give access like that in group policy, you must change their group permissions on the local box. not sure if there's a gpo for that, i may be wrong. You could seek out 3rd party desktop management programs. Scriptlogic may help you.

Originally posted by seperoth
        The problem that i faced was im using standard edition it does not have power users built in how can i create this group with my domain using active directory.
        Power users is a built-in group. Its not something you create. It is also a local group to the machine and not a domain wide group. I think you need to re-evaluate how you are planning to setup your software correctly on your domain computers.

I wouldn't just elevate your users to power users from standard user if you haven't thought through the security issues that may arise from that change. But any how, move the domain user group to power user group on your domain client pc's. The power user group does exist on windows server 2003, check the built-in container, unless it is a domain controller, then there is no power user group anymore as far as i believe.

alternatively, I would use 2 things: regmon and filemon from www.systernals.com

great tools. Run the tools as local administrator using runas, then launch quickbooks. See where the errors come from. You may only need to alter permissions for one registry key or one folder. That is atleast more secure than giving your users power user status to the entire box. Once you find the necessary permission changes, you don't need to move users to power users, just assign the permissions to the domain users group or USERS group will do.
        Last edited by roguecoolman; 27th January 2006, 10:29.

Comment

Are you trying to make the domain user a member of power user on a WinXP or Win2k Pro client machine to elevate their permission on run a local app??

You can accomplish this task my using Restricted groups in the domain GPO. You need to be careful here cause it ill overwrite existing group member on the client machine with the enforced GPO setting.

Description of Group Policy Restricted Groups http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=279301

Comment

Kunal, you are responding to threads more than half year old. Please refrain from that as long as you are not the original poster of the question.
            Guy Teverovsky
            "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Working...
            X