Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving External OU ?

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum , recently i've taken an interest in improving my AD skill set.

i've been reading and reading and running vm simulations and have come across a unique problem..

Situation , Your given a external OU that you need to move from beneath another OU to a higher level, so to be slightly more accurate let me specify

the question asks for an OU move for External OU from beneath the NYC OU to a higher level (same level as Dynamic Trucking);

What per-cautions should i take ? , and what would be the best way to approach this question

CMD or GUI interface....

Thank You, so far i'm enjoy AD it has a lot to offer and with practice i'll hopefully become better at it

Re: Moving External OU ?

Originally posted by Carfanatic View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum , recently i've taken an interest in improving my AD skill set.

i've been reading and reading and running vm simulations and have come across a unique problem..

Situation , Your given a external OU that you need to move from beneath another OU to a higher level, so to be slightly more accurate let me specify

the question asks for an OU move for External OU from beneath the NYC OU to a higher level (same level as Dynamic Trucking);

What per-cautions should i take ? , and what would be the best way to approach this question

CMD or GUI interface....

Thank You, so far i'm enjoy AD it has a lot to offer and with practice i'll hopefully become better at it
    Use the GUI, ADUC to be exact. Right click relevant OU and select move.

Comment

Hmmmm , i know that but i`m a bit unease let me explain ....

So i have this External OU and basically we all know that AD is structured as a TREE/Forest concept , imagine if the OU is obviously a node in the tree then imagine that there is an OU at a higher level "closer to the DC or ROOT" lets say

My objective would be to move that OU to the same level as the node that is closer to the OU .....

I understand the simple move cmd or DSMOVE but what im trying to grasp is Why would you 1. Want to move the OU to a higher level and 2. Shouldn't i be worried about losing any data ?

Comment

One more thing what does it mean when some on states

having OU's at the same level ......

like same DC path

HELLODC.LOCAL.NODE1
        HELLODC.LOCAL.NODE2

Is this what it means by same level ?

Comment

Can you post a screenshot (obscure the domain name) to make this clearer - I am getting confused by "External OU"

But basically you can move any OU to be a sub node of any other OU (exception: Domain Controllers OU), and its contents will move with it
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Alright let me try again

So basically i have this OU called "External Users" which is a sub OU of lets say Paris

Now there is another OU 3-4 levels above it called "Newyork" ou

I'd like to move the "External Users" OU to the "Newyork" ou HOWEVER i would like the "External User" once moved to take on all GPO's and security that is currently in place in the "Newyork" ou

Basically when i make the move i want the "External Users" Ou to be Parallel on the AD tree with the "NewYork" ou

LOL

I really appreciate all the interest so far

Thank You !

Comment

Well, since group policy application inherits, moving the OU (unless you have blocked inheritance) will pick up the NY permissions
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

well ok let me try something out also i'll post a diagram i'll make in visual studio to depict a bit more of what i'm try to say

Thanks everyone for the input brb making diagram and trying move today

Comment

From my understanding of your question your dilemma is this

External Users OU reside in Paris OU.
                  New York OU is further up the AD structure but still in the same domain.
                  You need to move the External Users OU from Paris to New York.

As mentioned before right click the OU and select move then move it to the relevant OU.

GPO's at the New York OU will take effect when the relevant users login.

Comment

Working...
                  X