Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When to execute SubInACL command to successfully migrate File Server to CIFS share ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to execute SubInACL command to successfully migrate File Server to CIFS share ?

Hi People,

Does anyone here know when and where to execute the SubInACL command to make sure that the files and folders can be successfully copied over to the CIFS share with Robocopy script ?

subinacl.exe /subdirectories \\CIFS\FileServerFolder\*.* /grant=Administrators=F /setowner=Administrators
    My concerns is that when running it on the source folder, it may break the existing file server ACL which is currently running in production.

Re: When to execute SubInACL command to successfully migrate File Server to CIFS shar

i dont know where you intend to run it, so i will refer you to a syntax and explanation for the SubInACL command:

SUBINACL.exe

maybe you could tell us what your trying to do... like to see if the files are the admins and then to copy them, or if they arent, let the admin take them then copy via xcopy/robocopy...

am i making sense about this not making sense? hehe, sorry...
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Re: When to execute SubInACL command to successfully migrate File Server to CIFS shar

Originally posted by James Haynes View Post
      i dont know where you intend to run it, so i will refer you to a syntax and explanation for the SubInACL command:

SUBINACL.exe

maybe you could tell us what your trying to do... like to see if the files are the admins and then to copy them, or if they arent, let the admin take them then copy via xcopy/robocopy...

am i making sense about this not making sense? hehe, sorry...
      James,

Thanks mate for the reply.
      What I need to know or run is the SubInACL command to take ownership of the data, should I do it before or after I do the Robocopy ?

and then where from (source/destination server) should I execute the SubInAcl command ?

because my problem is that in the new file server, I cannot browse to the subdirectories that is copied over.

Comment

if your worried about hosing something, perhaps you could work out of a temp directory and give it a go there first.

like:

ROBOCOPY \\Server1\reports \\Server2\backup *.* /E

then run the ACL on the files copied to server2...

and if it works, then try it in production.

do you think the robocopy /MIR switch might help?

Robocopy /MIR switch mirroring file permissions

that should give you the exact same file and folder permissions on both instances of data... if im understand you correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by James Haynes View Post
          if your worried about hosing something, perhaps you could work out of a temp directory and give it a go there first.

like:

ROBOCOPY \\Server1\reports \\Server2\backup *.* /E

then run the ACL on the files copied to server2...

and if it works, then try it in production.

do you think the robocopy /MIR switch might help?

Robocopy /MIR switch mirroring file permissions

that should give you the exact same file and folder permissions on both instances of data... if im understand you correctly.

James,

Thanks for the suggestion, so when I specify the /MIR does it deletes anything from the source file server ?

what I can do at the moment is to experiment with the read only command since I cannot afford to lose or screw things up in the production source file server.

Comment

Yes, my point exactly. Use the MIR argument to create an exact copy of the folder in question. Then use the copy and see how things behave. I don't think it would delete anything unless you use the del argument somewhere. The MIR command will create a mirror image of the directory, which will ensure the testing is worthwhile.

I think you should be good with something like copy the directory with the MIR then run the subinACL command on the copied directory. If it works then remove the line that does the copy. Or leave it in and then delete after the successful copy finishes.

Comment

Working...
            X