Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Outlook Email Receiving only with Outgoing SMTP IP address instead of domain URL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook Email Receiving only with Outgoing SMTP IP address instead of domain URL

I am new in domain system, i set up domain controller myself at my office, every thing was working fine, but after 3 or 4 days outlook was unable to receive email on client machines. the only way i find was to enter ip address of my domain (i have purchased and hosted from third party) in outgoing SMTP Server address. emails are receiving well without ip but only error is at receiving.
    i dont know where i am wrong. this is annoying too much.
    plzzz rsolve my issue.

Thanks in advance

Re: Outlook Email Receiving only with Outgoing SMTP IP address instead of domain URL

Can you explain how your active directory domain is set up and how your clients get email, please?
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Re: Outlook Email Receiving only with Outgoing SMTP IP address instead of domain URL

i have domain controller at my location, where as email server is from third party, we configure outlook client emails.
      mail is being received at client pcs also, but problem is at sending part.
      when i put ip of my mail server then it works well, but when smtp url is entred then it stops sending mails.

Comment

Presumably you are using Windows DNS?
        Check the 3rd Party Mail Server (btw, what is it?) is registered in DNS correctly
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Which is it? You first said that receiving mail was a problem, but now you are saying sending is a problem.

As Ossian says, you need to ensure that DNS is setup properly for your domain if you wish to use a url.

We use a third party mail server as well. We have a .local domain and clients simply connect via the IP address of the server that hosts the mail server to send and receive email.

It does not matter if you specify an IP address or a URL if you are only concerned about clients sending/receiving email. You mail server will announce itself as being from your domain (whatever that may be, and it does not need to be the same as your active directory domain), during EHLO.

Comment

yes i am using using windows DNS. As i told im new, i dont have clear idea is that configured properly or not. What can i do to check the proper configurations. and how can i check third party mail server for dns registration.
            thanks Blood & Ossian

Comment

What OS is the 3rd party mail server using?
              Where is it (in house or external)?
              If Windows and in house, check in network settings and confirm it is using your DNS servers, then run IPCONFIG/REGISTERDNS
              If external, go to your DNS server and add an A record for the public IP address of the mail server
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

If your clients connect to a mail server setup on your local network:
                The clients on your network can use the IP address of the server that hosts your mail server software.

Your mail server software needs to be configured to connect using the credentials you will have received or setup for the domain you purchased.

If your clients connect directly to an external mail server:
                As Ossian said you need to view the DNS records for the domain you purchased. You need to ensure that the mail and @ records are setup properly. They should both point to the public IP address you have been using to send/receive mail.

If those records do not exist you will need to wait a couple of hours (at most 24), afterwards before the mail and @ records are propagated.

After you have done this you will be able to send/receive mail by connecting to mail.domain.com

Comment

Working...
                X