Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to install and migrate a single DC to a new DC with folder redirection.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to install and migrate a single DC to a new DC with folder redirection.

Greeting's,

I have a Windows Server 2012 running AD services. There is folder redirection enabled to facilitate user's logging in from a different machine and still being able access their personal files. Folder redirection is configured exactly as per following microsoft document : technet.microsoft.com/en-in/library/hh848267.aspx

Even administrators cannot access user files due to ACL's.

I need to migrate from this AD server to a new one, including user files. Old server will be recommissioned for other role. How can I do this seamlessly?

Thank you very much in advance,
    Parth D. Maniar

Re: How to install and migrate a single DC to a new DC with folder redirection.

setup a DFS ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

While I'm researching DFS. Will the following help:

1. Join the new server in the existing domain.
      2. Promote it to main server (Global Catalog Server) / Demote the original DC, which needs to be decommissioned.
      3. Remove the old DC from the domain.

Will this work?

Comment

no, that won't replicate the folders and shares and permissions, which you said you need to move
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

What is the best method to go about than. I am not a Windows (or any) server administrator. I have been tasked with this due to lack of IT staff. Hence, pardon me for requiring spoon feeding.

Comment

Windows should move the folders for you automatically. As a test do the following:

1. Make a copy of your Folder Redirection GPO.

2. Make a new OU for a user account to test with.

3. Link the copy of the Folder Redirection GPO to this new OU.

4. Block Group Policy Inheritance on this new OU.

5. Move a user account into this new OU to test with.

6. Set up the new parent folder and Share for the new Folder Redirection location.

7. Edit the copy of the Folder Redirection GPO to reflect the new Share location.

8. Log on as the user.

You should see a slight delay in the logon process as Windows copies the users redirected folders from the old share to the new share. You can confirm that it worked by looking at the redirected folders on the user's computer and on the new Share to verify that they are there.

If it works, then modify your original Folder Redirection GPO to reflect the new Share location. The next time each users logs on, their redirected folders should be copied to the new location. Put your test user back where they belong and delete the test GPO and OU.

If it doesn't work, then simply move your test user back where they belong and delete the test GPO and OU and you're back to square one.

NOTE: You need to leave the old Share in place until everyone logs on and everyone's redirected folders have been moved to the new Share. Windows needs to connect to the old Share for each user as they log on in order to copy the redirected folders to the new Share.

Comment

Working...
            X