No announcement yet.

Move Domain Data from Domain A to NEW Domain B

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Move Domain Data from Domain A to NEW Domain B

I've got a friend that does NOT want to join his new 2012 Standard Server to his existing 2003 Domain and then just migrate data. He is concerned that there is something wrong with his 2003 domain and wants to start a NEW, FRESH, DIFFERENT domain on his new server.

He then wants to migrate 1/2 Terabyte of data from old Domain to the New Domain.

What is the best way to accomplish this.

I was thinking.

1. Set up new domain
    2. Set up new users with same usernames/passwords (if passwords are even known)
    3. Migrate Data and make sure directory structure/security is equivalent on new domain.

What is the best way to do this. I would rather just add the 2012 server to the old domain and move the data and we're done. He doesn't want to do that.

Any suggestions.

Re: Move Domain Data from Domain A to NEW Domain B

You need ADMT - Active Directory Migration Tool - freely available from Microsoft. (Link and more info here:

It allows you to move users, computers etc from one domain to another - IIRC you need to establish a trust relationship first. I can't remember if it allows you to move the data retaining permissions - if not, you will need to set up new security permissions after copying it
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **