DFS Issues with Namespaces not appearing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DFS Issues with Namespaces not appearing

I did not see a dedicated section for DFS, so I figured I'll put my question here in the AD section

I have a multi-site, multi-DC environment and I am setting up DFS. Currently every site has VPN connectivity to corporate HQ, but not necessarily to each other. I went on the corporate DC, opened DFS Management Console, and did the following:

Create new namespace on the current server. Add 2 more namespace servers in the site where this namespace will be primarily used...one on that site's DC and one on that sites File Server. This created 3 file structures of c:\dfsroots\namespace on each of the servers. As is my understanding, this is not actually where the files will be stored, just the junction links to the targets. I then created a folder with no targets, and a folder inside there with a target. The target was an already created folder and share on the branch site's file server. When I browse to \\domain.local\namespace on the HQ DC, I see the folder and folder target beneath it, and can browse to it and see the files in it. But when I browse from the remote branch file server or DC, I don't always see the namespace show up. If I do \\domain.local\namespace I will get an error and windows tells me it cannot find the file specified. It seems the DFS namespace is not being replicated everywhere in AD, because if I browse to \\HQ-DC\namespace it works. And if I browse to \\DFSnamespaceserver2\namespace it works. But when browsing to domain.local\namespace, I get mixed results. Also, sometimes I can see the namespace but do not see the folder I created withing the namespace.

Half of me says that within a few hours after replication happens this will all be working, but the other half of me is concerned that there's something wrong.

Any help?

Thanks

Re: DFS Issues with Namespaces not appearing

It sounds like either a junction link points to a folder not accessible from every site, or the clients are directed to the wrong replica (hence the "inaccessible" error).

Are there replicas of the relevant folder(s) in every site? If not, a client in a site without a replica may be directed to a server in another site for which no direct network connection exists.

Are the servers holding the replicas placed in the correct sites, and do the site/subnet objects correctly describe the actual infrastructure? If not, all bets are off.

Comment

Re: DFS Issues with Namespaces not appearing

Originally posted by Ser Olmy View Post
      It sounds like either a junction link points to a folder not accessible from every site, or the clients are directed to the wrong replica (hence the "inaccessible" error).

Are there replicas of the relevant folder(s) in every site? If not, a client in a site without a replica may be directed to a server in another site for which no direct network connection exists.

Are the servers holding the replicas placed in the correct sites, and do the site/subnet objects correctly describe the actual infrastructure? If not, all bets are off.
      It appears that there were some misconfiguration in AD Sites and Services. There were some links set up that were actually not valid, so it could be that DFS was pointing to a link in another location that it had no link to, and that's what caused it. After rebooting a few times and fixing AD Sites and Services and allowing replication to happen, it appears that the files are now accessible, but of course there is no way to know if that was just standard replication.

I don't know if this is ok on the forums so mods feel free to delete, but I am looking to pay a consultant to look at my DFS/DFSR environment and make sure I am doing everything correctly. If anyone can do this for me, please PM me.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
      X