Cannot perform dcpromo to demote old box

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot perform dcpromo to demote old box

Migrating from SBS 2008 to 2012 R2. Got to the stage to demote old box, try and it asks to remove ADCS first, which is fair enough and expected. Try to do so, but receive following error;
    Code:
    Attempt to un-install Certification Authority failed with error code 0x80073701. The referenced assembly could not be found
    I can't seem to find anything online that relates to this really. There are a lot of topics about win7 SP1 with a similar error, but yeah a bit stuck on this as I need to remove this old box. Any ideas?
    James
    MCP

Re: Cannot perform dcpromo to demote old box

Are you using "Enterprise Admin" account to uninstall CA? if not, add Enterprise Admins group to that account that you are using.

HN

Comment

Yes was actually using the built in Dom. admin account, which is member of Ent. admins. Have also tried another account which is also Ent. admin member. No joy.
      James
      MCP

Comment

Originally posted by swfblade View Post
        Yes was actually using the built in Dom. admin account, which is member of Ent. admins. Have also tried another account which is also Ent. admin member. No joy.
        Anything in the event logs?

Comment

Have you tried removing the CA role separately?
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

How do you mean Separately?

I am going into server manager and Remove Roles, deselecting the role to remove and following the wizard.

Nothing in log related to this.
            James
            MCP

Comment

The error from your initial post. It sound like the registry is corrupted. When you are trying to uninstall it.. it indicated that "The referenced assembly could not be found".

Something must be went wrong when you migrate from win2k8 to win2k12.

Are you able to launch CA manager after the migration? I speculation is when you are trying to launch that it will give you error message to something like "path cannot be found"

HN

Comment

You are correct;
                Code:
                The system cannot find the file specified. 080070002 (WIN32: 2)
                So where should I go from here?
                James
                MCP

Comment

You are correct;
                  Code:
                  The system cannot find the file specified. 080070002 (WIN32: 2)
                  So where should I go from here?
                  I'm not sure if there is anything else you could do. If I were you I will do one of two things.

1. I will leave it. if you are going to domote this box.
                  2. I will contact Microsoft, if you are still need this box in production. They should have a work around to remove this CA role.

FYI: MS should give you a 1 time free support if it the issue is causing by migration. So you should able to save your $250 one time fee

Thanks,
                  HN.

Comment

We're MS partners with a support contract so that's not really an issue to be honest. Going to have to speak to them then, as this box has to be demoted and the only way to do that is to get this ADCS removed.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll update with the resolution.
                    James
                    MCP

Comment

force demotion/remove ?
                      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I may be wrong, and I've never work with a CA, but I remember reading somewhere that you can't demote a DC that has CA installed on it. You have to backup, then remove the CA, demote the server, then reinstall the CA on a new server using the backup.

I've been doing a lot of reading about this recently because we will be adding a 2012 DC to our network soon and remember that little tidbit.
                        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Its been a while, but I am back on this today. Will post up if I find a solution/MS support solve.

tehcamel, I was ideally trying to achieve this without doing a force. Obviously that may be next on the list however.

Blood, yes you are correct, which is why I am trying to remove the CA role and that is where my problem starts...
                          James
                          MCP

Comment

fyi I tried running a forced dcpromo, just to see if it would let me, and sure enough I got the same message about not being able to remove ADDS with ADCS still installed.
                            James
                            MCP

Comment

... Blood, yes you are correct, which is why I am trying to remove the CA role and that is where my problem starts...
                              Haha - sorry I don't know how I managed to miss that rather important part of your post.
                              A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Working...
                              X