Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Configure AD

Hello Everyone,

Could someone please tell me what I'm missing or doing wrong here? Basically AD is installed and working great, but only if the workstations have been hard coded with the DNS entries in their adapters.

For example; I cant add a computer to the domain until I have added the IP of the primary DNS in the computer's adapter. Otherwise it cant see the AD.

Why would this be? What do I need to do to fix this?

Thanks

Re: Configure AD

Originally posted by pasupport View Post
    Hello Everyone,

Could someone please tell me what I'm missing or doing wrong here? Basically AD is installed and working great, but only if the workstations have been hard coded with the DNS entries in their adapters.

For example; I cant add a computer to the domain until I have added the IP of the primary DNS in the computer's adapter. Otherwise it cant see the AD.

Why would this be? What do I need to do to fix this?

Thanks
    How do your PC's get IP addresses?

Hopefully DHCP. If it is then you must make the internal DNS server/s the only DNS servers that clients use and add external DNS to the forwarders tab.

Comment

Yes by dhcp.
      We have a VM called m0n0wall, set to hand out ips.

You do mean the forwarders tab within DNS on the server correct?

I'm not really a network admin so would
      Appreciate anything broken down lol

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by pasupport View Post
        Yes by dhcp.
        We have a VM called m0n0wall, set to hand out ips.

You do mean the forwarders tab within DNS on the server correct?

I'm not really a network admin so would
        Appreciate anything broken down lol

Thank you
        Yes the DNS console on the server.

In essence what you need to do is this:
        1. Change the DHCP server to issue only the internal DNS Server IP. Typically this is the same server as your AD server, not always though.
        2. Change the DNS server to forward all DNS queries to your ISP's DNS server. Not an essential requirement as it will use root hints but it should be a little quicker.
        3. Update your clients by doing an ipconfig /renew or reboot or wait until the office is closed to push out the new settings.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
          Yes the DNS console on the server.

In essence what you need to do is this:
          1. Change the DHCP server to issue only the internal DNS Server IP. Typically this is the same server as your AD server, not always though.
          2. Change the DNS server to forward all DNS queries to your ISP's DNS server. Not an essential requirement as it will use root hints but it should be a little quicker.
          3. Update your clients by doing an ipconfig /renew or reboot or wait until the office is closed to push out the new settings.
          Wullieb1,

Thank you. When I get to the office in the AM
          I will look at this and let you know.

Really appreciate your replies

Comment

Please make sure the the DHCP is correctly configured to have the primary DNS, which the new machine should automatically pickup.

Comment

Working...
            X