Home Folder Not Auto Creating

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Folder Not Auto Creating

I'm having an issue with new users home folders not auto creating when a user logs in.

I have a Powershell script that creates our user accounts from a csv file, and auto populates the UNC path into the Home Folder profile. When the user logs in for the first time, the user home folder does not create and map to the drive.

If I go in to the user account and manually apply the UNC path and apply, the folder creates and everything is good.

Re: Home Folder Not Auto Creating

"If I go in to the user account and manually apply the UNC path and apply, the folder creates and everything is good". This is what I would do. when you create new user account. You create/specify the home folder path. The folder will created when new user is created and with the appropriate permission on the folder. Then you can use script to map the homefolder. I find this method very reliable.

You do not want to use the script to create homefolder everytime user logon. Because you are risking of deleting the old folders/contents if the script is not carefully coded.

Comment

I believe the OP was referring to bulk creating user accounts using Powershell / CSV, not to creating the home folder on every logon - which would not make sense at all!

It would not be efficient to create the accounts manually, although selecting multiple accounts and changing the home directory property in bulk could be more so.

As a possible alternative, consider another script to create/set permission on the directories and then Group Policy Preferences to do the mapping
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The user logging on never creates the folder. In ADUC, when you configure the home directory, ADUC is what creates the folder. So if you're creating the user by script, you actually have to put in the code to create and set the permissions for the folder.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
        X