No announcement yet.

Active Directory Rename or Migration

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active Directory Rename or Migration

Hello All,

This is my first post on this forum and I thought I would begin with a bang!!

Here's the scenario: I have been tasked with moving the current domain into something that can be federated, let me explain. Several years ago the admin that was here decided to build this domain as "" (not knowing that .int is owned by the UN). Now I need to change this domain to "" for federation purposes. The evirnoment looks like this:

Single Forest (2k3 functional level)
    Single Domain (2k3 functional level)
    All DCs are 2k8 R2 Datacenter
    All DCs are VMs (esxi 5.0)
    No Exchange Servers (outsourced)
    DNS on 2 DCs and 1 Member server
    Cert Svcs on a Member Server
    ~500 total computers (PCs and Member Servers)

Need to keep the same NetBios name!!!

Now the question: which would be the better method of achieving this? Domain migration, or Domain rename?

Thanks in advance.....

Re: Active Directory Rename or Migration

So now you know why it's recommended to use non-valid TLDs for Active Directory domains.

Renaming a domain is supported in some scenarios. The dealbreaker is Exchange; only certain domain configurations with Exchange 2003 are supported. Since you're not using Exchange, rendom should be able to do the job.

(BTW, I actually renamed a domain with Exchange Server 2010 just to see what would happen, fully expecting to have to roll back by restoring everything from backups. Strangely, everything seemed to work fine afterwards, and still does.)

Ser Olmy,

Thanks for the reply, I'm leaning toward the rename as this domain is simple and I need to keep netbios names intact. Is there anything you would have done differently when you renamed the domain you referred to?

The rename procedure was surprisingly straightforward. There was nothing to be done on the member servers or workstations, other than making sure they were all rebooted twice.

I followed the procedure as laid out in the Active Directory Rename Tools documentation (here's the relevant page for the 2003 version), and didn't run into any problems.