DNS not installing correctly.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS not installing correctly.

Sometime ago (maybe 15 months) run dcpromo on a server and added DNS. Can't remember if I used the wizard or did it manually. It seemed to work ok and there are only 4 users on this domain. After my Train Signal Lab I saw how incorrectly installed DNS was. However when I deleted DNS and then reinstalled it the result was the same. I have done something wrong somewhere, don't know what it is and I need to know how to fix it. Hopefully it doesn't involve removing AD and redoing it from scratch.
    Here is what the DNS structure looks like. DNS Server (not good eh) I would like to point out I have installed AD & DNS before and after this one and they all work correctly (and look correct).
    Any ideas?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Re: DNS not installing correctly.

It's probably not the DNS service itself. Could you post an ipconfig /all of the server, and post any errors that NETDIAG reports.

Comment

Damn, didn't think of getting that info. Will post it when I get back to the site on Tuesday. Thanks.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Your missing all the Directory partitions somehow

Have you tried a netdiag /fix??

wkasdo is a hell of a lot knowledgable than me so I'm sure he find the solution

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I had obtained the info Wkasdo had asked for and in a flash of brilliance (new spelling for desperation) tried the NETDIAG /FIX. Thank you Michael, it worked a treat.

Thanks also to Wkasdo. Just looked at the screen captures for you and noticed another "omission" that may be causing another problem. Before I em-bare-ass myself totally, I will check to see if I can fix the last problem before posting the captures.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
            I had obtained the info Wkasdo had asked for and in a flash of brilliance (new spelling for desperation) tried the NETDIAG /FIX. Thank you Michael, it worked a treat.

Thanks also to Wkasdo. Just looked at the screen captures for you and noticed another "omission" that may be causing another problem. Before I em-bare-ass myself totally, I will check to see if I can fix the last problem before posting the captures.
            Good thing I had just finished the chapter on DNS on the 70-291 exam - A day later and I would have forgotten about it

Michael
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk
            MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
            X