Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automate Password remider

Hi All

I am looking remind users to change their passwords ahead of time.

I am manually checking the passwords every day.

I do not have permissions for group policy access and I cannot install software on our servers so I need another solution.

It would have to be free, automatic and run from the client.

Thanks

Confuseis

Re: Automate Password remider

If you don't have access to Group Policy you can't really manage this. There is an option to automatically remind users xx days in advance. No need to complicate your setup with unnecessary software.

Either request access to group policy so you can do your job or pass it to someone who has access.
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

From what I gather those who tried failed as the server 2003 group policies would not work on windows 7 machines, all the same if the sales users windows password expires then they are locked also out of checkpoint which causes a lot of bother for me supporting them over the phone.

There has to be another way of querying this information, I have found 1 way which is using the remote server administration tools and its query tool, howerever I would like an automatic report for the team, Im thinking powershell or ideally a windows command line method which I can export to a spreadsheet or a client software tool that can do the same.

Thanks

Comment

I was not aware of this. We have both a 2003 and a 2008 DC and the W7 PC's on our network were purchased after the 2008 DC was installed.

Is the 2003 DC the only DC(s) you have?

[Edit]

Have you seen this: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...um=winserverDS

There are a few work-arounds that you can try. Apart from checking the settings are correct, there is a vbs script that may be appropriate.
        Last edited by Blood; 16th January 2014, 10:38.

Comment

Ditto - manage several SBS2003 boxes with Win7 clients
          There are some GPO settings which are not present on 2003, but the policies apply without problems to Win7.

IT team need to have another look!
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

There are also some templates (.adm files) you can add to Group Policy that provide more settings for newer computers. I also managed a 2003 domain for a while with Windows 7 computers, and we were able to lock them down, too.

Comment

Its likeley Id figure the group policy side of things out alas I dont have the rights. I suppose this stops desktop support staff going places they are not supposed to. I understand and accept this.

Information I have been given is that the higher up IT folks have tried and abandoned the group policy approach even though I think this may have neen premature its not my call.

Nonetheless I am reposible as the helpdesk for alerting people as to when their passwords are to expire as explained its an important task.

I therefore feel I can acheive this without using the group policy or any paid for 3rd party software or by installing any software on the servers.

What i musing over is using some method of quering & outputting this information via poweshell and running this as a scheduled task from my machine but then I would have to automatically send this say text file to the appropriate users or there may be another approach that Im not seeing?

Thanks

Comment

How can you do your job if you are not delegated the necessary rights to access Group Policy?

It is ridiculous that you should be forced to ask for a work-around.

Comment

How many times do we IT people here the word "Should", It should work, That should be setup, backup should have completed.

Those that Suceed in life are best at plan B

Im not being asked to automate the job but rather to do this manually every day. I myself wish to automate this as then It rules out my forgetting on busy day's, also if I can automate this I learn how to automate other tasks which may be useful in the long term.

Thanks

Confuseis

Comment

Yes, but all those 'should''s that you quote assume the person responsible has access to the necessary features

It took me about 20 seconds to find this through a web search.

http://ss64.com/ps/syntax-expiry.html

I hope it's useful.

Comment

Working...
                    X