Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• create AD 2003 member server without overriding existing DNS entries

Salutations to All
    We have 4 domain controllers in our domain with existing AD integrated DNS. We need to add two more domain controllers members.
    We know ho to install AD. However, we're stuck with the DNS part. When installed the last domain controller member, the DNS integrated overode and wiped out all the hundreds of existing DNS entires!
    So our questions is, how do we install a new domain controller member, with DNS integrated, without overriding the existing domain's DNS entries?

Thank you very much for your assistance.
    Leo

Re: create AD 2003 member server without overriding existing DNS entries

Take a backup of DNS before adding the new DC: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304489

Never heard of this one, though. I've promoted quite a few DCs in my day and never had this problem. Let us know what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Bertmax View Post
      Take a backup of DNS before adding the new DC:
      Never heard of this one, though. I've promoted quite a few DCs in my day and never had this problem. Let us know what happens.
      Thanks. I have done the DNS backups. I'd rather avoid the whole issue though and not have to restore DNS. Takes time and users will complain.

Need a way to install AD with DNS integrated that works right off the bat.

Thanks

Comment

When installing additional domain controllers and installing DNS over that there is an option to make the installation a secondary DNS server, making it subservient to the main DNS server. I wonder if this setting was missed or incorrectly configured when you lost the DNS entries.

I've installed and added several DC's with AD integrated DNS and have not had this issue.

Once you have your backup go ahead and install it. Or, you could always do the installation out of office hours, if you have that luxury.
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Ive witnessed this myself. it stemmed from an engineer creating an empty zone for the domain name when he installed DNS, which wiped out all the records in the production zone. He was impatient after installing the DNS role because he couldnt see the zone in the mmc. He used the dns.msc to create an empty zone thinking that would allow the records to replicate to the new domain controller...

What you want to do is run the DC promo first. When it completes and you have verified your three directory partitions are fully replicated (Domain, Schema, Configuration), then you will want to install DNS.

When you install ADDNS on a directory server, it will automatically replicate the two DNS partitions (DomainDNS, ForestDNS) and populate your zone.

What you want to avoid is creating an empty zone for your namespace.
          Last edited by userPrincipalName; 22nd January 2014, 16:50.
          Rules of life:
          1. Never do anything that requires thinking after 2:30 PM
          2. Simplicity is godliness
          3. Scale with extreme prejudice

I occasionally post using a savantphone, so please don't laugh too hard at the typos...

Comment

Working...
          X