Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

convert VMWARE Active Directory to Hyper-V AD?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• convert VMWARE Active Directory to Hyper-V AD?

Hi,

We are converting our VMWARE VM domain controllers to Hyper-V. One of these domain controllers contains all 5 FSMO roles.

Can I safely shutdown the one VMWARE FSMO AD, while converting the VM to a Hyper-V? And then start it back up without any issues in the domain/forest? We have only one domain and one forest.

Will do this make my AD out of sync?

Or should I transfer all FSMO roles to another server, then shutdown each VMWARE VM, convert them, and then start them back up on Hyper-V?

Your expert experience and assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

-Leo

Re: convert VMWARE Active Directory to Hyper-V AD?

To be on the safe side, convert one of the DCs with no roles first, then when it is up and running on the new setup, transfer all the FSMO roles to it.

A DC being down a short time shouldn't knock your domain out of sync, but the other DCs might groan a little, since they can't contact their replication partner. Once brought back up, it will contact the other DCs and sync itself.

Frankly, I've never used MS's Hyper-V, so I'm not sure what is involved in the conversion process. I know I would not start on the second conversion until the first one is finished and running as it should.
    Last edited by Bertmax; 10th December 2013, 23:30.

Comment

First off there is no VMware AD. You have DC's in a VMware environment that you want to migrate to a Hyper-V environment.

This seems to be the path to follow though.

http://community.spiceworks.com/how_...est-in-hyper-v

IMHO build a DC on the Hyper-V system and ensure that it is being replicated to and is functioning as a DC prior to converting any.

I am presuming that you have applications running on your DC's that require you to convert them? If not then just build fresh ones on the Hyper-V system and decommission the old ones, after transferring the FSMO roles over.

To answer your specific questions

1. Yes you can as long as you have another GC in operation to process logons. If you're really worried transfer the roles to a live DC before powering off.

2. AD will synchronise properly when the server comes back online.

Comment

Friendly warning about directly converting from VMWare to Hyper-V: any VMs that are processed like this may be unstable in the Hyper-V environment as regards system time and shutdown control. We have just such an environment. Our testing system uses VMs to mirror our production environment, and the VMs were built by restoring our live backup tapes to empty VMs under VMWare 3. This was upgraded to VMWare 4 at one point, but then licensing costs made us turn to Hyper-V.

All the VMs were converted using tools from MSoft, and we've been struggling with time sync and stateful shutdown issues ever since. We haven't had the time to recreate the VMs straight from backups again, so have got scripts in place to periodically restart the time service on the VM servers several times every 24 hours. And to do shutdowns for update restarts, for example, we have to use the HyperV Manager to kill the VMs and then restart them, because shutting a VM down using the normal methods simply logs you off and nothing else. Even the HyperV Manager stateful shutdown function for the VMs doesn't work right.

My advice is to test an innocuous machine first, and verify all remote management functions still work, including power control, as well as service behavior over a 24-hour period, before you commit to changing all your VMs.
        *RicklesP*
        MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by RicklesP View Post
          Friendly warning about directly converting from VMWare to Hyper-V: any VMs that are processed like this may be unstable in the Hyper-V environment as regards system time and shutdown control. We have just such an environment. Our testing system uses VMs to mirror our production environment, and the VMs were built by restoring our live backup tapes to empty VMs under VMWare 3. This was upgraded to VMWare 4 at one point, but then licensing costs made us turn to Hyper-V.

All the VMs were converted using tools from MSoft, and we've been struggling with time sync and stateful shutdown issues ever since. We haven't had the time to recreate the VMs straight from backups again, so have got scripts in place to periodically restart the time service on the VM servers several times every 24 hours. And to do shutdowns for update restarts, for example, we have to use the HyperV Manager to kill the VMs and then restart them, because shutting a VM down using the normal methods simply logs you off and nothing else. Even the HyperV Manager stateful shutdown function for the VMs doesn't work right.

My advice is to test an innocuous machine first, and verify all remote management functions still work, including power control, as well as service behavior over a 24-hour period, before you commit to changing all your VMs.
          As far as the time sync problems in your Hyper-V environment are concerned, I recently opened a support case with MS on this issue and this is what they recommended:

For AD domain client VM's disable the Time Synchronization Integration Service. The Hyper-V host will inject it's time at VM startup (because the VM's don't have RTC's) and thereafter the domain clients will sync to and use the domain time hierarchy. They recommended syncing the PDC emulator to an external time source just as you would with a physical DC. We followed these recommendations and haven't had any time issues since.

Comment

We've gone thru a number of on-line articles about time sync in HyperV environments. What we ended up with was enabling the time function in Integration Services so that each VM would get it's time from the hypervisor when started, but then we also set a reg key (path I don't remember exactly, key name 'Enabled' to 0) which means that, after startup, regular time operation isn't covered by the Int Svcs function, but normal domain heirarchy. It's been very stable since we made these changes.

My problems have to do with a couple of VMs (our only SQL server, our only Web server, and 2 others) which have some basic instability where the time service simply stops, and we can't figure out why. Also, random disappearances of reg keys necessary once Int Svcs are installed keep disappearing, so the Time service won't start at all.

Since we haven't the time to work out why this is all happening and fix it, we've thrown a couple of scripts together to periodically check for the reg entries and service state and replace/restart as necessary. This dev environment hasn't got long to live anyway, so our time is better spent elsewhere. Thanks for the suggestions, tho.
            *RicklesP*
            MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

I've been through a number of articles and a few phone calls to MS as well. One of the things I learned is that the Time Sync Integration Service is used AFTER the VM has booted and loaded it's OS, as it's one of the Integration Services that get installed on the VM.

The VM gets it's initial time directly from the host upon boot of the VM.

So to clarify: Upon starting the VM the host injects it's time into the VM. Only after the VM boots, loads the OS and starts the Hyper-V Time Integration service does the VM sync it's time via the Time Integration service.

Comment

Working...
              X