No announcement yet.

User accounts

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• User accounts

Hi. I'm still fairly new to Active Directory. I know a little, but I don't know a lot. What I'm wondering is if it's a bad idea to have one username and password for all the employees in a department. Like Shipping for the shippers and Sales for the salespeople. Thanks.

Re: User accounts

How large/small is the organisation?
    Does everyone have their own computer?
    Do you want to be able to track/monitor the individual users?

Personally I would have individual accounts for everyone and create GROUPS for departments (Sales, Shipping etc). Permissions are then applied to the Groups and individuals added to the Groups. If a new user is hired then you only need to add them to the Group and they get all the appropriate permissions. Saves a lot of micro-managing.

Your company should have an Acceptable User Policy to avoid any inappropriate downloads being done with company machines and bandwidth.
    Departed: 23rd December 2015

Re: User accounts

Concur - do not have different people using the same account!
      What happens if:
      One user changes the password without telling everyone else?
      Someone misuses the network?
      Personal files need to be saved?

If you need a departmental email address, groups (as already mentioned by Biggles) can be mail enabled
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **