AD with Svr 2003 and Svr 2008 R2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD with Svr 2003 and Svr 2008 R2

i currently have one Win2003 Svr in the org. The server is a AD, DC, Exchange 2003, DHCP and DNS.(yeah...not a best practice)
    but we already bought 2 new server.

The new 2 server will be install with Win2008 R2. So my plan is 1 Svr will be AD and another 1 is Exchange 2010 (will upgrade from Exchange 2003).

My question:
    1. In order to prepare the forest and domain, can i use the Windows 2008 R2 CD?
    2. once the forest and domain ready, can I dcpromo the Win 2008 Svr and become DC?
    3. Will the DHCP and DNS from Svr 2003 replicate to the new 2008 Svr?
    4. Can i moves all the roles from 2003 to 2008 svr without affecting the current exchange user in 2003.
    Last edited by necro; 12th November 2013, 17:57.

Re: AD with Svr 2003 and Svr 2008 R2

(1) Yes and if (and probably) the Windows 2003 server is a 32 bit server you'll run ADPREP32

(2) Yes, should be ok. Ensure you of course backup system state and other applications prior to changes and carry out a DCDIAG to verify health.

(3) If DNS is in AD integrated mode, yes. DHCP will need to be migrated.

(4) Should be ok. Make the new DC a GC role server as well and you need to ensure that you minimise other changes to the current DC until Exchange has been migrated. You need to keep an eye on Exchange following the FSMO role move to ensure there isn't a problem as it will be looking only at itself for AD services.

Comment

Out of curiosity, is the 2008 R2 a temp solution for a transition? 2008 R2 is 3 versions old.
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thanks Virtual

JeremyW - 2008 R2 is permanent solution.

Ok, next week I will hand-on the step. Wish me luck

Comment

Following my question no.1 - It shouldn't be a problem if I run ADPREP32 in the current Windows Svr 2003 AD & Exchange environment. User will not affected ?

Comment

No issues running it. It add to the schema of AD. No configuration changes for objects.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

The only role you might have trouble with is PDC emulation. If you want the new server to be the big boss, you'll need to raise the functional level of your domain to server 2008 R2. I did this in a domain of 5 DCs (a mix of 2008 R2 and 2003) without issue. Of course, we couldn't afford to upgrade Exchange from 2003 Ent, so one of our DCs had to stay 2003, because Exchange 2003 doesn't integrate with AD 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by Bertmax View Post
                The only role you might have trouble with is PDC emulation. If you want the new server to be the big boss, you'll need to raise the functional level of your domain to server 2008 R2.
                Not sure what you mean by big boss but you SHOULD NOT raise the functional level to 2008 R2 if there's 2003 DCs in the domain.

There shouldn't be any issues transferring the roles, even the PDC Emulator.
                Regards,
                Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hi all,

I managed to add Svr 2008 into the org. Thanks

Comment

Good to hear.

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                      Not sure what you mean by big boss but you SHOULD NOT raise the functional level to 2008 R2 if there's 2003 DCs in the domain.

There shouldn't be any issues transferring the roles, even the PDC Emulator.
                      Gah! You're right. It's been awhile since I was a sysadmin. I was remembering incorrectly. We had 2008 R2 DCs working with 2003 DCs, but the functional level was 2003 or mixed or whatever.

Nothing to see here.

Comment

Working...
                      X