Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NT4 NetBIOS Domain Name with a dot ("."), problems upgrading to 2003 ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NT4 NetBIOS Domain Name with a dot ("."), problems upgrading to 2003 ?

Hi all

I was wondering if there could be a problem in migrating a NT4 Domain called "KOH.DOMAIN" to Windows 200x.
    NetBIOS and DNS have completely different namespaces and they should not interfere between them, so netbios name could remain koh.domain and dns domain name could be different (for example kohinternational.com) during upgrade process
    Have you any experience of related problems with a dot in NT4 netbios domain name with a dot ??? There should be a possible future issue using a domain with this structure?

Thanks in advance
    Max
    Max

Re: NT4 NetBIOS Domain Name with a dot (".&quot, problems upgrading to 2003 ?

Owww that's classic. Had such a case a couple of years ago, but I can't remember if it worked or not.

> NetBIOS and DNS have completely different namespaces and they should not interfere between them,

Not that different. If windows sees a name like koh.domain it will try to resolve that through DNS, since it looks like a DNS name. That would fail, of course...

In short, I have my doubts. I see some documents on the MS site that suggests that it might work, but I would definitely try this in a test environment first!!

Comment

I can imagine at least one case where having a dot in the domain's NETBIOS name will bite you in your butt...

Something like:
      Code:
      Set objUser = GetObject("WinNT://KOH.DOMAIN/Administrator")
      In theory, this should use Winnt provider to bind to user Administrator in KOH.DOMAIN domain, but in reality I suspect it to try to bind to Administrator account on host KOH.DOMAIN.

Also, if you have Samba clients, I would expect some issues, as it's name resolution methods are slightly different from Microsoft's...

If I were at your place, I would use the opportunity to rename the NETBIOS name during the migration.
      Guy Teverovsky
      "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

> I would use the opportunity to rename the NETBIOS name during the migration.

From context, I guess that Max is going for an inplace domain upgrade. That is the only way to KEEP the netbios name. If you go for a migration, using ADMT and the like, you are going to need a trust. I'd not be surprised if that would fail!

Comment

Originally posted by guyt
          If I were at your place, I would use the opportunity to rename the NETBIOS name during the migration.
          Ehm, as WKASDO said, I'm not going to migrate, but I'm going to inplace upgrade. NETBIOS name can't be changed during upgrade (or at least, that's what microsoft tells).
          Also I do not mean to use ADMT, I would rather choose recreating the domain from scratch, even though this is a 150 computers domain.
          Max

Comment

admt = active directory migration tool
            http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...mt/default.asp
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber
              admt = active directory migration tool
              AKA "blood bath", I have some experience with this tool, and: no thanks, I'd rather live

BTW the size of this customer does not require such tool.
              Maybe it would be better a new creation from scratch.
              Max

Comment

> Maybe it would be better a new creation from scratch

Agreed. Any domain with a dot in the netbios name probably needs serious cleaning anyway

Comment

Originally posted by wkasdo
                  > Maybe it would be better a new creation from scratch

Agreed. Any domain with a dot in the netbios name probably needs serious cleaning anyway
                  That's right
                  BTW, I'll try to post this thread also in micrsoft private and public newsgroups... let's see if some "official" guy from MS will give us further details about supporting this kind of procedure
                  Max

Comment

Something like:
                    Code:
                    Set objUser = GetObject("WinNT://KOH.DOMAIN/Administrator")
                    tried and, it may seem strange, works perfectly
                    ... I have discovered that in this domain there is a logon script that use this call! It is in place and active from 2 years now
                    Max

Comment

Working...
                    X