Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DNS and group policy updating problems...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS and group policy updating problems...

Hi

Im currently doing some work for a small business with about 10 workstations running windows 7. Ive had a server 2008 box running as a file server for about a year now without a hitch.

As an upgrade and to make things more managable I decided to turn the file server into a domain with active directory and DNS capability. Ive got a group policy with folder redirection to a share on the server. Ive configured the workstations to use the server for dns and connected them to the domain successfully.

Okay now for the problems...
    The web browsers of all machines including the server take ages to resolve the host sometimes the pages dont load correctly and need refreshing. Is there another way to configure the dns to stop this happening?

After sucessfully migrating the profiles on the server I decided to spread the CPU load so I built another file server. From this point I created a share on the new file server and changed the group policy folder redirection to point the new share. Now when a user logs on some profiles load fully and show documents, desktop, pictures etc... other times only the desktop will load and the documents, start menu, pictures etc... will still be pointing to the old redirection share or to the local profile. What have I done wrong?

Thanks for reading!

Grant

Re: DNS and group policy updating problems...

How is DNS configured at the moment?

Ideally you want:
    Server LAN looks to itself for DNS, DNS forwarders set up to ISP (Or Google) DNS servers
    DHCP for clients with server only for DNS (do not use router IP, for example)

Client will query server, which will use forwarder to resolve address
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Ossian,

Thanks for your help I've set up the DNS to forward to Google. Everything's much faster now

I still cant seem to workout why profiles on the workstations aren't being redirected to the new network share. Any ideas? I've rebooted the servers and workstations as well as running gpupdate /f

Thanks again rep +1
      Last edited by eleymonster; 4th September 2013, 21:42.

Comment

Can you do a gpresult (RSoP) and check the policy is being applied?

Are the clients picking up other GPOs?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by eleymonster View Post
          I still cant seem to workout why profiles on the workstations aren't being redirected to the new network share. Any ideas? I've rebooted the servers and workstations as well as running gpupdate /f
          Are the profiles still going to the old location or just not working at all?

When you say profiles, do you mean a true roaming profile set in ADUC or Just Folder Redirection set at GPO level?

Are you sure your GPO are clearing local cached copies, and the clients are not just just any locally stored previous profile?
          * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

Also check the event log on a workstation. For folder redirection it usually points out exactly why it fails.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hi,

I've just ran RSoP on a workstation and heres the error I'm getting:

Folder Redirection did not complete policy processing because the user needs to log on again for the settings to be applied. Group Policy will attempt to apply the settings at the user's next logon.
              I've also just checked the event viewer and here's some more errors.

WARNING- Folder redirection policy application has been delayed until the next logon because the group policy logon optimization is in effect.
              ERROR- Failed to apply policy and redirect folder "RoamingAppData" to "\\ESCLfs1\Users$\Administrator\Application Data".
              Redirection options=0x9211.
              The following error occurred: "Failed to redirect because the destination directory "\\ESCLd1\Users$\Administrator\Application Data" is offline".
              Error details: "The network path was not found.".
              The last error is in the event log 3 times, one for app data, one for downloads and another for Favorites.

The roaming profiles are set at GPO level as folder redirection. Liked I've said previously I've restarted all workstations including both servers but the policy still doesn't seem to be working.

The directory \\ESCLfs1\Users$\Administrator\Application Data\ exists and has data in it. Whereas \\ESCLD1\Users$\Administrator\Application Data\ does not exist any more, presumably because the first logon after changing the policy the files copied to the new directory?

Comment

Also just to add, it seems very random in regards to what redirects and what doesn't for one profile the desktop might be redirected but on another the documents could be redirected. It's not as though it's only one folder thats not redirecting-it just seems random

Thanks for the help so far....

Comment

Can you create a brand new user as see what happens with their re-direction.

Comment

It looks like the policy is trying to redirect to the old location. Check your policy settings and make sure they have the correct paths.
                    Regards,
                    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Okay,

So I've just created a new user called 'test' and tested it between 2 workstations. There doesn't seem to be any folder redirection what so ever. The profile was using C:\ on both machines.

There is a folder called 'test' in \\ESCLfs1\Users$\ however there's nothing inside that folder...

I've checked and double checked the GPO - file paths are all correct.

Do you think the "wait for network" GPO would be worth a shot?

Cheers

Comment

The wait for network only applies to XP.

what errors do you get in the event log now with the new users? Does it still point to the old path?

Comment

This is worth a review and a verification of your configuration against it. I use this for all of my deployments.

http://thedigitaljedi.co/best-practi...irtualization/

Comment

[SOLVED] Re: DNS and group policy updating problems...

Hi everyone,

I've finally cracked it!

Basically I have 4 GPO's in place. One for the management team, another for accountants/admin staff, one for workshop staff and the default domain group policy.

I created a test user as a member of the workshop, one as a member of management, and so on....

The only user that was not redirecting correctly was the member of the workshop.

Upon checking the settings tab for the Workshop in Group Policy Management I found that the Folder Redirection was set as "Not Configured". I immediately configured the folder redirection for the Workshop group policy and now everything's working perfectly.

Because the Folder Redirection in the Workshop policy was set as "not configured", this was preventing the Default Domain Policy from enforcing folder redirection for those users.

Many thanks for all your help!

Grant.
                            Virtual, that guide is now in my favourites - Rep +1

Comment

Glad to hear it is now resolved.

Comment

Working...
                              X