Joining Remote PC/Server to AD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining Remote PC/Server to AD

Hi, how do i join a remote server (at different geographic location) or PC to an existing AD which is in a same WAN? I tried so, but got an error that says something like please contact administrator for help.

Thanks in advance.
    Mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open!

Re: Joining Remote PC/Server to AD

Assuming you are using a site-to-site VPN or have other access to the main DC

1) check remote computer has a valid IP address
    2) check both directions can ping by IP, NetBIOS (short) name and FQDN (long name)
    3) join using FQDN (domain.local) rather than NetBIOS name whenever a domain name is requested

(Basically, NetBIOS does not traverse subnets while DNS does so using the FQDN will resolve correctly)

Does the error tell you anything more than you have said?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Ossian,

Thanks for your enlightenment in #3. I managed to join the target device in my remote site to my AD now. As of the error, i don't really know what the error is because it's in a different system language (korean) which i couldn't understand.

Thanks again for your quick help.
      Mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open!

Comment

No problem!
        Been in exactly the same situation all too many times.

Do you have an option to deploy a DC (even an RODC) at the remote site for the future?

Glad you got it sorted out
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X