No announcement yet.

Schema Master Role Problem

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schema Master Role Problem

I have an on going problem, see my previous thread, and after running DCDiag,
    it reports that my Schema Master FSMO role is held by a server that is no longer connected to my network. I cannot however force it to another server by using the Schema Master snap in.

Will a Sieze of the Roles to another DC solve the problem, even though this server no longer exists ??

Re: Schema Master Role Problem

Yes, that will solve the problem. However, you should

1. make sure that the original server never comes back on the network
    2. Do a metadata cleanup of the original server.

Sorted, Thanks for the reply

netdom query FSMO has proved it !

However it took a few attempts as the seize kept failing with LDAP errors. I think this is down to another problem I have regarding DNS running simitaniously on two other AD servers. They want DR and I think this is where all the problems stem from.

If I remember it right, this is normal. During the sieze process, the ntdsutil attempts to contact the original FSMO holder to try a graceful transfer and if it fails (with those LDAP errors - not being able to bind to original FSMO holder) it brute forces the process.
        Guy Teverovsky
        "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

That sounds right Guy, it tries to do it nicely and then fails.

Also, as the first chap mentioned, doing a metadata cleanup after siezing a role is more than a good idea.

Here are links to help you with that part (It may look like a long process, but its cake):

Senior Support Engineer
          Visual Click Software
          512-231-9990 x 2
          UK Support: 0800 814 1317