Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Active Directory: Naming Information cannot be located because the specified domain d

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active Directory: Naming Information cannot be located because the specified domain d

I have a single server domain that has been functioning perfectly for 2 years. Recently I tried adding some new users and new workstations and could not. This worked just days prior to this. I have checked DNS and it appears to be working and configured correctly. I have ran dcdiag /fix and netdiag /fix and both had errors. I have attached the output from these below. I saw an earlier thread with similar errors but nothing in there helped. I would appreciate any advice I get. If further information is needed please ask and I will add to the post.
    I noticed that replication has failed between my server and another server. This server was taken out of service 4 years ago.
    I am starting my fact finding now but I hope one of my peers on here may have encountered this and have some insight.

Thanks In Advance.
    Attached Files

Re: Active Directory: Naming Information cannot be located because the specified doma

First, regarding your DCDiag errors, it appears you had not cleaned up the metadata from the old server which failed back in 2010. The directory still thinks its a valid DSA.

I would start by following this article to clean that up before anything else:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...=ws.10%29.aspx

I am curious if your remaining domain controller is a global catalog. What is the result of this command?

Code:
    repadmin /options
    If you dont get this in the return results:

Code:
    repadmin running command /options against server localhost

Current DC Options: IS_GC
    You will need to make it a global catalog. You can do that by executing this:

Code:
    repadmin /options <servername> +is_gc

You might also want to make sure all your unary roles are intact:

Code:
    netdom query fsmo
    Since its failing the KnowsRoleHolder (FSMO) test
    Last edited by userPrincipalName; 27th June 2013, 21:13.
    Rules of life:
    1. Never do anything that requires thinking after 2:30 PM
    2. Simplicity is godliness
    3. Scale with extreme prejudice

I occasionally post using a savantphone, so please don't laugh too hard at the typos...

Comment

Re: Active Directory: Naming Information cannot be located because the specified doma

Passed the repadmin but when I ran the netdom query fsmo I received the following error:

The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. The command failed to complete successfully.

My DC thinks it is in the domain named "domain" It does not recognize the fact that it was in the domain named pierre.company.local

I can open users and groups and it does not attach to the users and groups but If I click on attach to server or domain it attaches and says that it is the master DC.
      Last edited by bdebolt; 27th June 2013, 22:37.

Comment

ok...

1. Follow the article to clean up metadata.
        2. On your remaining DC run:
        Code:
        nltest /dsregdns

I'd be interested in seeing the results of the following:
        Code:
        nltest /dsgetdc:<domain_name>

nltest /dclist:<domain_name>

nltest /dsgetdc:<domain_name> /gc

nltest /dsgetdc:<domain_name> /pdc

3. Use ntdsutil to determine your role holders. The steps are in the bottom half of this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/234790
        Last edited by userPrincipalName; 27th June 2013, 23:51.
        Rules of life:

I occasionally post using a savantphone, so please don't laugh too hard at the typos...

Comment

Moving this to AD forum since we don't know the server OS involved

Can the OP please confirm they only have one DC, then follow the Petri article (already referenced but not, I think, linked) to check where all the FSMOs are and move them (by force if needed) to the current DC:
          http://www.petri.com/transferring_fsmo_roles.htm
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

First I would like to THANK YOU ALL for the great advice. I have followed it closely and to the letter. The solution is right there...I know it I just can't quite grasp it. Recap of my environment.

I have a single server domain. (2003 Windows 64bit)
            The missing server was removed 4 years ago prior to my starting here. Just found out it ever existed.
            Domain and server has been working fine for the last 2 years (when I started).

The results I have attached are from response to post dated 27th June 2013 16:49

Step 1 completed succesfully
            Step 2 results are included in the text file named nltest.txt
            Step 3 contains results and things I received in a file named server error.pdf
            Attached Files

Comment

This is in response to Ossian's post.

When seizing FSMO roles I was able to seize some of them but received errors seizing RID and Schema Master roles. Please see attached txt file.
              Attached Files

Comment

bdebolt:

I believe that error is because you tried to transfer the roles. The problem you have is the old server was your RID master - this is why you cant add objects any longer, your healthy server exhausted its RID pool and the RID master is gone so it cant request a new pool.

Since your RID (and it also looks like your schema) were both on the missing server, you have to sieze the roles. You cant transfer them from a missing server.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255504

in NTDSUTIL when you are at the "fsmo maintenance" prompt, you need to type"

Code:
                seize rid master

<then>

seize schema master

This should get things working again...

Your almost there

*** Oh and also, when all this is over, build a second domain controller ASAP! ***
                Last edited by userPrincipalName; 28th June 2013, 20:35.
                Rules of life:

Comment

Working...
                X