machines taking time to logon to domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• machines taking time to logon to domain

I recently promoted a DC to be the only Domain Controller.

I demoted the old DC also.

Everthing seems to be okay, DNS & DHCP & AD but the problem is that its taking the domain machines alot of time to logon.

This domain machine have static IP's configured.

What could be the issue?

Any help/ideas appreciated.

Re: machines taking time to logon to domain

Do you have the domain controller set as the first DNS address?

Comment

Yes,that's already set

What could be the issue?

Comment

Are you sure the domain is stable? Run 'dcdiag' and report the results here. If there's anything 'stuck' referring to the now-gone DC, that query action will have to time out and then start hitting the current DC, hence the delay.

You may end up having to clear garbage metadata out of your domain records using ntdsutil. There are lots of guides on-line to follow, but tread carefully, as ntdsutil is incredibly powerfull.
        *RicklesP*
        MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

When the domain client queries DNS for the location of a DC, DNS may be returning the record for the now gone DC. As markdavies pointed out, it's important to make sure that the clients point to the correct DNS server for your domain DNS but that doesn't mean that the DNS server will return the correct DC record.

Comment

Please post an ipconfig from your server and one from your client.

Comment

are your CLIENTS pointing to the new DNS Server ip address?
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

clients are pointing to the new DNS server,

seems like the issue stabilized.. and i don't know what i did,although am monitoring it

another issue ,how comes when i open the dhcp server -i get the status -"not connected"

upon clicking it changes to **active**

is this normal?

Comment

Are you connecting to the DHCP console on the server (would not expect it to appear as "not connected") or from a client, where it might be loading the console THEN connecting to the server
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks Ossian,

Now,

i had installed WSUS on my server ,however it didnt work ,,,gave me enough errors and the IIS service couldnt start.

I plan to uninstall IIS ,then uninstall WSUS and install them afresh.

Will this uninstalling of IIS affect the AD or anything else that may be depending on it?

thx

Comment

Hi pope,
                      i've asked for your post on WSUS to be split as it's actually a separate issue..

however - uninstalling IIS as long as you don't have anything else using it -and remember,we don't know your infrastructure the way you do - shouldn't harm AD.

IIS isn't an element of Active Directory (at least, not at the base level it sounds like you have deployed)
                      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
                      X