Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about renaming 2008 R2 DCs

http://www.petri.com/rename-windows-...ontrollers.htm

I've read the article above, and it mentions that you must wait for a full replication cycle before running the second netdom command.

We have a rather long replication time, and it's almost prohibitive to wait for the full cycle to complete.

Can I run the first netdom command (example: NETDOM computername KUKU-SERVER.PETRI.LOCAL /addC-SERVER.PETRI.LOCAL) before I remove the old server from the domain and allow that replication cycle to complete in the background?

I'm trying to cut down on the total wait time for this process. Thanks!

Re: Question about renaming 2008 R2 DCs

At our own risk, but I would strongly recommend NOT doing anything out of sequence.

Can you speed up replication temporarily?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

How would I do that?

Comment

review one or two of the posts here:
        https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ad...EkgtCEB_3jgMgB

Note, check what is set up in your environment first, and document anything you change!

Is there any reason to cut down the time, or can you leave things to take their course?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

We are removing a DC, and renaming one in place to take over in a maintenance window overnight. Given that our end to end replication is very lengthy, it might not even fit in an overnight window, if we had to wait for the removal of the old DC to replicate, and then let the new name replicate as well.

Thanks for the tip about documenting the change.

Is it possible to run the first netdom command with the other server (the one waiting to be demoted) still on the network?

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          review one or two of the posts here:
          https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ad...EkgtCEB_3jgMgB

Note, check what is set up in your environment first, and document anything you change!

Is there any reason to cut down the time, or can you leave things to take their course?

Comment

Working...
          X