Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upgrade DC 2k3 to DC 2012

dear everyone

my AD is based on windows 2003 32bit. now i want to upgrade to DC 2012 ( only 64bit).

can anyone suggest for me the way to do it?

thanks

Re: upgrade DC 2k3 to DC 2012

there's no upgrade path from x32 to x64 on the same host.

so:
    1, buy new hardware
    2. install windows 2012 on new hardware
    3. dcpromo new server into domain

if you then want to remove the old one, search for some of the fine guides on removing old domain conrtollers (hint, it's also dcpromo)
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
      there's no upgrade path from x32 to x64 on the same host.

so:
      1, buy new hardware
      2. install windows 2012 on new hardware
      3. dcpromo new server into domain

if you then want to remove the old one, search for some of the fine guides on removing old domain conrtollers (hint, it's also dcpromo)
      Correct with points 1 and 2.

dcpromo is no longer used on Server 2012 though. Its all done through Server Manager or powershell.

http://www.petri.com/windows-server-...ontroller.htm#

I would just like to add at maybe 0.25 and 0.50 that you need to prepare the forest and the domain for the addition of a newer DC.

And as always

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A GOOD VALID BACKUP OF YOUR AD INFRASTRUCTURE BEFORE MAKING CHANGES

Comment

I agree with the below. DCPROMO in Windows 2012 can now only be used with the Unattend switch.

Comment

thanks all for response,

my DC is based on windows 2k3 32bit, i think to upgrade to DC 2012, i must prepare forest and domain infrastructure then i can add new DC 2012 to exist 2k3 DC but windows 2012 has 64bit only, not adprep/ for 32bit. so can i use a intermediate step, add a addition DC 2008 64bit to DC 2k3 32bit, after that add DC 2012 later?

Comment

Originally posted by tmmyl View Post
            thanks all for response,

my DC is based on windows 2k3 32bit, i think to upgrade to DC 2012, i must prepare forest and domain infrastructure then i can add new DC 2012 to exist 2k3 DC but windows 2012 has 64bit only, not adprep/ for 32bit. so can i use a intermediate step, add a addition DC 2008 64bit to DC 2k3 32bit, after that add DC 2012 later?
            Adding the ADDS role to the Server 2012 server should prepare the domain for you.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
              Adding the ADDS role to the Server 2012 server should prepare the domain for you.
              hi wullieb1,
              yes, use ADDS to promote to DC. but i'm confuse, can i bypass the intermediate step( in addition DC 2008 64bit)?

Comment

Originally posted by tmmyl View Post
                hi wullieb1,
                yes, use ADDS to promote to DC. but i'm confuse, can i bypass the intermediate step( in addition DC 2008 64bit)?
                You should not need that step.

Please review this

http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/archi...rver-2012.aspx

Comment

Working...
                X