Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replication after network change

Not sure if this should go under the banner of AD or DNS

We changed the Network connection to one of our sites so the sites subnet has been changed.

Server 2003. AD 2000 Native

Full replication is not occurring between between the server at this site and the server at the centre of our replication topology - That is to say the server at the site that has had its address changed can pull replicate from the centre site but the centre site can not pull from the site with the address changed.

NSlookup is correct on both servers. I can telnet on ports 135, 139 and 389 from each server to its counter part so I don't believe its a connectivity issue.

I have pointed both servers to the centre server for their primary DNS and then upstream to the parent domains DNS servers.

running a DCDiag on the server at the site with the address change there is an error

Testing server: XXX\YYY
    Starting test: Connectivity
    Although the Guid DNS name
    (GUID HERE._msdcs.DOMAIN) resolved
    to the IP address (OLD IP ADDRESS), which could not be pinged, the
    server name (YYY) resolved to the IP
    address (NEW IP ADDRESS) and could be pinged. Check that the IP
    address is registered correctly with the DNS server.
    ......................... YYY failed test Connectivity

However looking through DNS I can not find any records relating to the old IP address on either server. However an NSlookup using the server with address change for the Guid record resolves the old IP so there is a record somewhere........help!

Re: replication after network change

Try looking for the old address in your reverse lookup zone(s). Those records may not have been cleaned up when the IP was changed.

Also check in AD Sites & Services for correct IP subnet info for the assorted sites you have hardware set up at.
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

+1 on checking your SRV records as well as your A and PTR.

Have you created new intersite links for the new subnet? If you look at the NTDS connection objects on the new and old dcs, do you see any connections for the new DC?

can you run KCC on the new DC?

what is the output on the new DC when you run:

DCDIAG /c /i /b?

what is the result of:

repadmin /replicate <new_DC> <old_DC> <NC>

(for example: repadmin /replicate dc01 dc02 dc=mydomain,dc=contoso,dc=com)
      Rules of life:
      1. Never do anything that requires thinking after 2:30 PM
      2. Simplicity is godliness
      3. Scale with extreme prejudice

I occasionally post using a savantphone, so please don't laugh too hard at the typos...

Comment

Originally posted by RicklesP View Post
        Try looking for the old address in your reverse lookup zone(s). Those records may not have been cleaned up when the IP was changed.

Also check in AD Sites & Services for correct IP subnet info for the assorted sites you have hardware set up at.
        Found a record in the reverse lookup zone - thanks

Comment

Originally posted by userPrincipalName View Post
          +1 on checking your SRV records as well as your A and PTR.

Have you created new intersite links for the new subnet? If you look at the NTDS connection objects on the new and old dcs, do you see any connections for the new DC?

can you run KCC on the new DC?

what is the output on the new DC when you run:

DCDIAG /c /i /b?

what is the result of:

repadmin /replicate <new_DC> <old_DC> <NC>

(for example: repadmin /replicate dc01 dc02 dc=mydomain,dc=contoso,dc=com)
          DCDIAG /c /i /b? /b is not a valid option did you mean /v?

The DC on the site hasn't changed just it's address. Itersite links have not been changed as the sites are still the same name. the only thing I have changed in sites and services is the subnet for the site with the address change
          Last edited by didgemaster; 31st May 2013, 10:57.

Comment

Fixed it

Turned out to be an entry in the DNS stubzone held on the parent domain's DNS server

Comment

Working...
            X