Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FRS will not start. AD/GPO all messed up.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FRS will not start. AD/GPO all messed up.

IssueServer01: Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2

Environment: DCs are: Server 2003/2008/2012

I discovered an issue when creating a new GPO to map a network drive. It wasn't replicating to all DCs.

IssueServer01 was the RID/PDC/Infrastructure Operations Master, and I discovered that it's FRS service would not start. Since then, I have transferred the Operations Master roles to a functional DC. Also, the SYSVOL folder was not shared.

When trying to manually start the FRS service, I get "Error 1067: The Process terminated unexpectedly"

We don't need this server to be a DC any longer, so I decided to demote it. When I try that (as well as dcpromo /forceremoval), I get "The operation failed because: Failed to prepare for or remove the sysvol replication. The file replication service cannot be started."

I would rather not just shut this server off and manually remove the metadata. I think if I can get the FRS service running, then I can demote it. Any ideas?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Re: FRS will not start. AD/GPO all messed up.

i will shoot you a couple of links that will be helpful in your figuring out why FRS isnt working and how to fix it.

How To Troubleshoot the File Replication Service in Windows Server 2003

File Replication Service Diagnostics Tool (FRSDiag.exe)

my suggestion would be to start with those and see what happens. let us know if you cant figure it out.

james

***EDIT***

while im thinking about it, can you post the ntfrs log from "C:\windows\debug" folder, just as it may be useful. im expecting to see something like path_not_found or something of the sort.
    Last edited by James Haynes; 24th April 2013, 00:51. Reason: VIOLA!
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Attached. Thank you for your willingness to help!
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by James Haynes View Post
        while im thinking about it, can you post the ntfrs log from "C:\windows\debug" folder, just as it may be useful. im expecting to see something like path_not_found or something of the sort.
        Thank you, James! You were exactly correct. For some reason, the FrsStaging directory was located on a removable drive. I added a drive back to the server and the service started right up and I was able to DCPromo it! Thank you so much!

Comment

just for educational purposes, the log contains the following lines that i was expecting to see, cause 'been there, done that':

<FrsCreateDirectory: 1016: 3954: S0: 14:03:11> Can't create directory f:\frs-staging; WStatus: ERROR_PATH_NOT_FOUND
          <MainMustInit: 1016: 1570: S0: 14:03:11> :S: Can't create working dir: WStatus: ERROR_PATH_NOT_FOUND
          <MainRunningAsAService: 1016: 2295: S0: 14:03:11> :S: MainMustInit failed; WStatus: ERROR_PATH_NOT_FOUND
          im glad to have helped... isnt it always the simple things that getcha!

its always nice to have an extra set of eyes and an spare mind when dealing with these things...

just slide some karma points my way and we'll call it square

best wishes,

James
          Last edited by James Haynes; 24th April 2013, 16:58.
          its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
          Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Originally posted by James Haynes View Post
            just for educational purposes, the log contains the following lines that i was expecting to see, cause 'been there, done that':

im glad to have helped... isnt it always the simple things that getcha!

its always nice to have an extra set of eyes and an spare mind when dealing with these things...

just slide some karma points my way and we'll call it square

best wishes,

James
            Absolutely! Have a great day

Comment

Working...
            X