The choosing of AD DC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The choosing of AD DC

I have been struggling with understand why my local site clients would be accessing a DC across a WAN to authenticate? I have looked at my AD SAS and the DCs are in the correct locations mapped with the right subnets. Also when I open my AD UAC tool from my desktop it just randomly picks a DC, then when I change the DC and check the box that saves this configuration for the console, the next time I open it, it picks a random DC again? What is going on?

Re: The choosing of AD DC

If the clients are pointing to the local DCO for DNS then you'll have to verify that the correct SRV records are registered under the _sites.domainname zone for the respective site.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevenjwilliams83 View Post
      I have been struggling with understand why my local site clients would be accessing a DC across a WAN to authenticate? I have looked at my AD SAS and the DCs are in the correct locations mapped with the right subnets. Also when I open my AD UAC tool from my desktop it just randomly picks a DC, then when I change the DC and check the box that saves this configuration for the console, the next time I open it, it picks a random DC again? What is going on?
      It should pick a random server from the local site. If the site is unavailable then it tries to select one specified by a metric.

Do you have a GC on each site that processes logons?

Comment

I am not sure how to rate threads of replies. I did manage to get this working correct. It was all AD sites and services and how my sites subnets are setup.

All sites have a 10.70.X.0 subnet and rather than creating individual subnets and mapping them to the local DC, it was setup with just one 10.70.0.0/16 subnet which will then just pick a random DC within that entire subnet, which happened to be at times across the world.

Thanks for the direction!

Comment

Working...
        X