Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active Directory/Directory Server

Hi,

I would like to know under what circumstances will Active directory and Directory server be configured in the same environment.

What measures needs to be taken before having this kind of setup.

Re: Active Directory/Directory Server

What are you referring to by "Directory server". Active Directory is a Directory server, hence the name Active Directory.

Comment

I mean to say Sun Directory Server 5.1 and Active Directory in the same environment.

Comment

Presumably when you have client / users who cannot authenticate against AD but require an alternative DS -- Unix / Linux / Mac clients spring to mind here

AFAIK AD has no problem with parallel directory services, but you will have to consider what is providing DNS
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Ossian,

Thank you for the reply. Is there any documentation to be followed for configuring this kind of setup.

Comment

Probably would give you some pointers - I know of nothing specific, but some of the links here may help:
            http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22...5&bih=844&bs=1

Essentially AD will authenticate if asked, so if a client asks for a different DS, that will answer.

As I indicated, DNS may be an issue and this is one case where AD Integrated DNS may not be appropriate.
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
            X