Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using an External HDD to store Roaming profiles

Hello all,

I am a newbie to the forum and would like to ask for some expert help please if I could.

I have a Windows Server 2008 machine setup and running with Active Directory installed and fully functional and two machines as clients. The clients are both Windows 7 Pro.

My HP DL360 g4 server has not got very big HDD's so I purchased a 250gb USB external HDD.

I am running my simple file shares from this drive successfully although when I use this drive to store user profiles, I am logged on with a temporary profile. I tried storing my profile on the C: drive and it worked fine..

I am really frustrated at the moment and really need help!! Any would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advanced!

Re: Using an External HDD to store Roaming profiles

Are these the server profiles or the client profiles being stored?

How are you implementing the roaming profiles?

Is the C drive you refer to on the client or on the server?

Have you tried folder re-directions to the USB drive?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hello Ossian,

Thanks for the reply.

I am tring to store the server profiles. I have setup Roaming profiles in Active Directory Users and Computers under the profile tab on User Properties in AD.

The C Drive is the Boot drive on the actual server, with the operating system files etc.

I don't understand what you mean by redirecting to the USB. Should I set up the main user home on the boot drive and enable folder redirections thorugh GPO to point to a shared folder on the External USB?

Thanks

Comment

Hi Davik
        For re-directions, yes, use GPO, but I suspect it wont work either.

I think the problem is that the Windows Server thinks the USB drive is "removable" and treats it differently from a "fixed" drive. There are tweaks to make it appear "fixed": http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/1439...disk-for-win7/
        http://superuser.com/questions/11756...storage-device
        http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1655684

Be careful before applying any of the changes, and test if you can
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hello,

I have completed what you said to do and made the External HDD a fixed drive.

I have saved the roaming profiles to the main Boot HDD of the server and now I do not get any temporary profile messages which makes me very happy!

My main problem now is implementing the Folder Redirection. I have setup a GPO and run gpupdate /force /boot on each connected client.

When I look at Documents properties it displays a local user profile path which would be fine if I was running normal roaming profiles, but I really need folder redirection because 1) It is alot faster logon and logoff speed and 2) I do not have a great amount of space on my Boot HDD for user profiles.

When I look in Event Viewer on the client machines, it says "
          Windows failed to apply the Folder Redirection settings. Folder Redirection settings might have its own log file. Please click on the "More information" link."

Please can I have a solution! I have set permissions on the Folder Redirection share appropriatley and still not working!

THanks

Comment

Working...
          X