Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tombstone exceeded...but before 180 days!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tombstone exceeded...but before 180 days!

Hello everybody,
    in a single-domain multi-DCs environment, on some DCs I have the 2042 Error Event:

"It has been too long since this machine last replicated with the named source machine. The time between replications with this source has exceeded the tombstone lifetime.
    [...]
    Tombstone lifetime (days):
    60"

Actually it's true: this DC has been disconnected for 70 days.

What's very WEIRD is that I expected tombstone to be 180 days, NOT 60, for the following reasons:

a) my environment is Windows Server 2008 which has 180 days as default tombstone value (and no one ever changed it)

b) if I check the tombstoneLifetime attribute in
    CN=Directory Service,CN=Windows NT,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=<...>,DC=<...>

IT IS 180

...so what's the reason?

Besides: to increase this value, just a change on this parameter for the FSMO DC is needed? Or must be changed on all the DCs in the forest?

Thanks in advance,
    Kuma

Re: Tombstone exceeded...but before 180 days!

Was the domain built with 2008? If it was built with 2003 or 2003R2 the tombstone lifetime was 60 days and I'm not sure it would change to 180 days during an OS and domain upgrade.

In Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 1, Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 2, Windows Server 2008, or Windows Server 2008 R2 the tombstone lifetime is set to 180 days. In Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2003 R2 the tombstone lifetime is set to 60 days.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      Was the domain built with 2008?
      Yes.
      That's why it sounds very weird to me...

Comment

Do one of these

You can find what you're current AD Tombstone setting is from one of the following methods. If the result of the query is set to <not set> , then it's 60 days. Let's change it to 180 days.

Dsquery * "CN=Directory Service,CN=Windows NT,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=Domain,DC=com" -attr tombstoneLifetime
        or
        dsquery * “cn=directory service,cn=windows nt,cn=services,cn=configuration,dc=corp,dc=domain, dc=com” –scope base –attr tombstonelifetime

from here

http://msmvps.com/blogs/acefekay/arc...2042-2023.aspx

And let us know the results

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
          Dsquery * "CN=Directory Service,CN=Windows NT,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=Domain,DC=com" -attr tombstoneLifetime
          or
          dsquery * “cn=directory service,cn=windows nt,cn=services,cn=configuration,dc=corp,dc=domain, dc=com” –scope base –attr tombstonelifetime

[...]

And let us know the results
          It says 180.

So the error "It has been too long since this machine last replicated with the named source machine. The time between replications with this source has exceeded the tombstone lifetime.
          [...]
          Tombstone lifetime (days):
          60"

is a real mystery...

any advise?

Thanks and regards

Comment

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...8WS.10%29.aspx

Try that.

Comment

Actually I know how to solve the issue when tombstone exceeded.

My question is: how come I have tombstone exceeded error (saying tombstone lifetime = 60 days) after 70 days when tombstone is set as 180 days?

Comment

Any ideas?

Comment

Give microsoft a call, i had exactly the same issue some years ago, but i really cant remember how to solve it yourself, we tried for 3 days ourselves and couldn't get it straight, but MS Support was able to help us without problems (notice that a MS call will set you back 300$....)

Comment

Working...
                  X