Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2000/XP Clients Still Logging On to Netbios Domain After Upgrade

Hi folks,

I have recently just upgraded my NT domain to Win2K3 AD via in-place upgrade on the PDC. After the upgrade, I realised that the Win2000/XP clients are still logging onto the Netbios domain name rather than the DNS domain name. I actually changed the DNS domain name to something different from the netbios NT domain name during the upgrade process. There are also legacy machines still running within the domain such as Win9X, NT WS and NT BDCs.

Here's the scenario:

Lets say NT domain name was NTDOMAIN. I changed the DNS domain name to 2K3DOMAIN.COM during the upgrade. The upgrade was fine. After upgrade I installed DNS and WINS on the Win2K3 DC as a secondary DNS and WINS to the existing Win NT DNS/WINS machine. I did a zone transfer from the NT DNS and stopped its DNS Service. Afterwhich I made the DNS type on the Win2K3 DNS AD-Integrated.

Then I tested logging on from the clients. Win9x and NT clients are logging into the NT Domain name NTDOMAIN, which is normal. But I am puzzled why is the domain name which appears in the login screen for Win 2000/XP still reflecting NTDOMAIN and not 2K3DOMAIN.COM? Is this normal? Cos when I checked the Win2000/XP clients, the domain stated under the My Computer-> Properties -> Computer Name reflects the new 2K3DOMAIN.COM.

As of now the domain is still operating in Windows 2003 Interim mode as there are NT BDCs lying around. And I cannot disable Netbios as well.

Is there anyway to show the domain in the login screen for the Win2000/XP clients to be 2K3DOMAIN instead of the Netbios domain?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!! Thank you!!!

Re: Windows 2000/XP Clients Still Logging On to Netbios Domain After Upgrade

This is a surprisingly common misunderstanding. The netbios and DNS names of an AD domain are completely separate, two different things, that represent the same domain. You will always have them both, regardless if you disable netbios.

The workstation will always show all possible domains that the user can log on to using the netbios name. That cannot be changed. So yes, all this is perfectly normal behaviour.

You can, however, get users to logon using their User Principal Name (UPN), which looks like [email protected].

Comment

So am I right to say that all types of clients will ALWAYS log on to the netbios domain name, even if netbios is turned off in the domain and the domain functional level has been promoted to Windows 2003 native?

Comment

That's correct.

Comment

Working...
        X