Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couldnt edit policies in AD, now resolved but understanding why it broke

Hi
    I have inherited a very unhealthly AD environment comprising of 5 DCs with 1 2008 DC and 4 DC on 2003 R2 (2 are in a DMZ environment for our hosted Exchange 2007 setup)
    Whilst it works, there are certains I can see one of these is I had problems editing policies on 1 2003 DC. It came up with the message:

windows can not find 'gpedit.msc'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. to search for a file, click the start button, and click Search.
    Details: The system cannot find the file specified.
    I read on another forum that if I copy the gpedit.msc file
    from c:\windows\system32 to c:\windows\syswow64 it should work.
    I Did this and it worked but what I am trying to understand why on 1 DC I am not able to do this but other DCs it works fine. Does any AD expert understand why, also what tools could I run to assist me with addressing these issues. I know in 2007 exchange there is a Best practises analyser, is there something similar for Active Directory?

Thanks

Re: Couldnt edit policies in AD, now resolved but understanding why it broke

IIRC GPMC was an optional component on Server 2003 and needed to be downloaded and installed -- it is certainly included in 2008 but I am not sure about 2003 R2, so downloading and installing it on the problem server should deal with things.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

GPMC is indeed an optional extra on 2003 R2, it is freely available for download from Microsoft.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

GPMC.MSC and GPEDIT.MSC are two different things.

GPMC is an optional install (although I think in Server 2008 it gets installed automatically when you make that server a DC) and it is for managing group policies in a domain (when you actually go to edit a domain based GPO from within GPMC it does launch GPEDIT.MSC to edit the individual settings in that GPO).

GPEDIT has been included with every version of Windows since either 2000 or XP, as you can use it to edit the local GPO that exists on every PC. So yeah it should definitely have been on your server. Can't really explain why it wasn't I'm afraid...
        Software for IT Pros that I've written: http://www.cjwdev.co.uk/Software.html

My blog: http://cjwdev.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
        X