ADC for Exchange 2003/WIN2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADC for Exchange 2003/WIN2003

I was reading the article on the ADC install. can anyone tell me if creating an ADC will consolidate my 5.5 GAL with my 2003 GAL, so both can see each other. I want to migrate to Exchange 2003, but in steps and I want the old users to be able to see the new users in one GAL and be able to still share or control calendar.

Thanks,

B

Re: ADC for Exchange 2003/WIN2003

ADC can create either contacts or user objects, which represent the recipient from the foreign Exchange organization. This will let you have the unified GAL reflecting both Exchange organizations.

The bad news are that it won't sync the Free/Busy information, but you can get away with using InterOrg Replication utility: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/238573 (watch out: it's a real pain to configure the tool)
    Guy Teverovsky
    "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Thanks. Is the representation automatic once the connector is made? Also is the create an account move mailbox better than using the ADMT and will it maintain permissions and groups assignments?

B

Originally posted by guyt
      ADC can create either contacts or user objects, which represent the recipient from the foreign Exchange organization. This will let you have the unified GAL reflecting both Exchange organizations.

The bad news are that it won't sync the Free/Busy information, but you can get away with using InterOrg Replication utility: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/238573 (watch out: it's a real pain to configure the tool)

Comment

Originally posted by bforrest
        Thanks. Is the representation automatic once the connector is made? Also is the create an account move mailbox better than using the ADMT and will it maintain permissions and groups assignments?
        Once the connector is installed and the Connection Agreements are established, the connector will track the changes and reflect it on the other side of the CA (Connection Agreement).

The problem with the tools that come with Exchange (like ADC, Move Mailbox, InterOrg, etc..) is that those tools are Exchange oriented and do not take care of things like migrating security groups, updating sIDHistory attribute of migrated account and populating the migrated groups with the relevant objects.

For all the tasks mentioned above you have ADMT that handles the things quite nicely.

If you do not care about Free/Busy sync between the organizations, probably the best route would be:
        - Install ADC and create CA to sync the objects from the E5.5 (configure ADC to create disabled user accounts and not contacts). This will also take care of DLs (and optionally Custom Recipients)
        - Install ADMT at the target AD and configure PES (Password Export Service) on NT PDC (this will let you migrate accounts with passwords). Use ADMT v3 for best results.
        - After ADC compleets the initial sync, use ADMT to migrate the NT accounts with sIDHistory. ADMT can merge the attributes if the target object already exists (remember that ADC instance that has already created disabled user objects ?)
        - Use ADMT to migrate the security groups, computers, etc...

This is a very rough overview... There are quite a few caviats on the way, like migrating/updating profiles, etc... I suggest you setting up a test lab and give it a try to see how things actually work.

And WRT InterOrg: ideally that would be great if it could be added to the mix, but from my understanding it requires the E5.5/NT account be represented as contact object in target AD, and with that (as far as I know - please correct me if I'm wrong) the ADMT can't work - it won't be able to merge the attributes from NT account to contact object or transform it to user object...
        Guy Teverovsky
        "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Working...
        X