Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ADModify. Changing Display Name Attributes.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADModify. Changing Display Name Attributes.

Hoping I am still in the correct location for posting this.

We have a bored manager at one of our clients, who decided it would be fun to change the Display Name (Note, its display name only) for all users from Firstname Surname, to Firstname SURNAME (Capitalized)

He wants that when he gets an email via Exchange 2010, that the surname shows in full uppercase letters)

I jumped onto my ADModify tool after some growling regarding the uselessness of the request, and had a peek at how I could achieve the demands using ADModify 2.1

However I seem to be unable to find an appropriate resource or example as to what attributes I need to fill in, in order to ensure the surname is fully capitalized.

I know the %'givenName'% %'sn'% bit, as that is auto generated. Its just the 'sn' bit which I need to tell to go all uppercase on the surnames.

Is anyone here able to assist perhaps, or can anyone guide me to a proper resource which actually holds info on capitalizing (Uppercase) surname under the display name attribute for all users? I don't mind Powershell, or other potential reliable tools. Will test it on test user first of course.

Thanks in advance for any assistance. Let me know if I need to clarify anything.

Re: ADModify. Changing Display Name Attributes.

Old fashioned, but how about:

CSVDE to Excel
    Excel function to capitalise (or capitalize if you prefer)
    A little bit of layout (again via Excel)
    LDIFDE import to update users (CSVDE won't work)
    http://www.computerperformance.co.uk...IFE_Modify.htm
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

And there's an option indeed. LDIFDE it is. Have not used that in a while since I got lazy using simplified tools. I will use CSVDE or PS to export users & wanted attributes to CSV, update as suggested, and import as suggested.

P.S. Capitalise, Capitalize, either works for me. Thanks Ossian for the quick and simple solution.

Now all I will have to do is figure out how to close this post, and allocate point if thats how this forum rolls.

Cheers,
      Dutch.

Comment

Forgot you can also LDIFDE export so see which is easiest!

No official closure mechanism, and points are on the "yin-yang" (black/white circle) icon at the top right of each post in the thread
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Voila. Added to your rep. Cheers for explaining that bit too.

Comment

Another option

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-8596a0c0863d/

Please note that i have not tested and it may require some more scripting. It looks from a very quick glance that it would work.

Comment

Thanks wullieb1.

Unrelated to original question. Ossian, I did add to your rep, and now wullieb1's as his article is also good.
              However I noticed that wullieb1's rep did not go up. Not sure if either of you got the extra rep. Does it take a while to push through perhaps?

Comment

You are on a low post count, so we get a note but zero points....
                As you contribute more, your rep-giving powers will go up -- check yours
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

Working...
                X