Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Added DC in cloud and now it's really slow

Hey guys,

I have an on premises environment with a 2008 DC, and I am beginning a transition to the cloud. I set up the VPN, and ran DCPromo.exe on a brand new cloud server and added it as a new domain controller in the cloud. I can see all the AD objects on the new server that were on the old server, as well as everything in GPMC.msc.

The issue is that when I'm making my way around the cloud AD and GPMC, everything runs really slow. Specifically GPMC, where if I make a change to a GPO, it takes sometimes up to 60 seconds from when I click "OK" after changing a setting until the window disappears.

I posted this in the AD forum because I figured there must be something I didn't do for replication. Maybe it is set to instant replication when it should be set to something else due to the fact that they are not local to each other?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Added DC in cloud and now it's really slow

My guess is that it's the quality of the VPN connection. What's the bandwidth and latency between the local and remote networks?
    Last edited by joeqwerty; 21st September 2012, 20:51.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      My guess is that it's the quality of the VPN connection. What's the bandwidth and latency between the local and remote networks?
      It's pinging consistently across the VPN at under 50ms. Usually in the 30's.

Cloud has excellent bandwidth, and on-premises is probably a 20/5 cable connection.

Comment

The DNS of the Cloud DC was set first to 127.0.0.1, then to the on-premis DNS, then to 2 Cloud DNS servers they provided me. Is that an issue? I installed DNS on the cloud server as well which it replicates from the on-premis DC. What is supposed to be the DNS settings for the DC in the cloud, and also what should be the DNS settings for the Cloud servers?

Thanks

Comment

Try using the actual IP address rather than 127.0.0.1.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
            Try using the actual IP address rather than 127.0.0.1.
            The issue ended up being that the VPN tunnel was not fully open and therefore the DC's were not replicating to each other.

Also it was trying to contact the primary domain emulator or something like that which was the other DC and now it is set to "this domain controller"

Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X