domain time sync

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• domain time sync

I am having the hardest time syncornizing time in my domain. Even the DC's are not in line with each other. Can any one give me some guidance on where to start with this? I know the PDC emulator holds the time, so my plan is to make that my NTP server and point it to an external time server, but how do I get everything else in line from laptops, desktops, and other servers.

Re: domain time sync

I have always used the old fashioned way:
    net time \\domain.local /set /y
    Put it into a startup script

In theory w32tm should automatically handle the sync
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Some of my servers have the windows time service set for manual...this should be automatic correct? Is there anyway to do this via GP?

Comment

Yes -- for 2008r2 it is in:
        Computer--Policies--Windows Settings--Security Settings--System Services
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Are you running the DC with the PDC Emulator on a VM? If so, then sync the VM to the Host Server and sync the Host to an external Time Source.

Take the hard work out of it. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816042
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

PDC is physical, the Infrastructure master is virtual. But that something good to know when i move to full VM environment.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X