X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Authenticate & Login to a Domain from a Different Site Office

Hi

I'm trying to get an idea on how to setup the following:

We have an office with DC running on 2003. In here all services are host including our file server. Now we have setup a new office and our users would like to have the following:

- Authenticate on the same DC
    - Access the files on their network drive (from new office to old office)

in the new office, we have already establish a LAN connection between computer but no server etc. except a DSL connection.

What are the things i need to have this setup and configure this connection? What are the prerequisites and requirements needed?

I not sure if im in the right area but since it is related to AD then i hope it is correct. Thank you in advance

Re: Authenticate & Login to a Domain from a Different Site Office

Very standard scenario -- you will need to out the details but basic steps are
    1) Establish a VPN between offices
    2) Make sure DNS on the local computers can resolve the main office (by fqdn and netbios name)
    3) Join computers to domain normally -- you may need to use fqdn as part of the process.

Ideally you will add a DC to the branch office, and possibly use DFRS to keep local copies of files. If you have any Server 2008 R2 and Win 7 in your infrastructure, you can use branch cache
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Very standard scenario -- you will need to out the details but basic steps are
      1) Establish a VPN between offices
      2) Make sure DNS on the local computers can resolve the main office (by fqdn and netbios name)
      3) Join computers to domain normally -- you may need to use fqdn as part of the process.

Ideally you will add a DC to the branch office, and possibly use DFRS to keep local copies of files. If you have any Server 2008 R2 and Win 7 in your infrastructure, you can use branch cache
      Thank you so much for the help...

just to clarify things, I already have a DC on the main office running on 2003. What you meant by Windows 2008 R2 and Win7 is for the branch right? if this the case, it will be most likely be the setup. you mean dfsr right?

again thanks for your tips and advice... i'll have this planned ahead and if you have any further advise please do let me know

thanks again!

Comment

Branch Cache here: http://technet.microsoft.com/library...34(WS.10).aspx

You will need 2008 R2 servers for it.

Yes, plan first, carefully!
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X