Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD Replication over Fiber Optic network

Hi all !
    I have a question wich i hope some of you may have had some experience with.
    We need to build a network with 5 locations all connected with a Fiber Optic Network. I had a few questions about the replication of the AD if anyone has a bit of experience here.
    First, Could we treat the fiber optic network as one big network ?
    Im asking this because if it isnt in the same network theres a 15 minute wait before the changes get replicated to the other DC's (if im correct).
    My second question would be what happens if say, two administrators make a change in the same policy in the 15 minute wait it would take to replicate the AD between DC's in other networks?

If anyone could give their thoughts it would be much appreciated!
    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by RayBlack; 13th July 2012, 12:44.

Re: AD Replication over Fiber Optic network

First) Definitely Maybe. It comes down to the setup of your sites in AD. A site is officially defined as a "well connected collection of subnets" so if you feel your fibre is fast enough and reliable enough to put all the subnets into one site, you can. I know several domains where they do exactly that.

Second) The later applied change should win. This is really an issue where admins need to communicate and not make changes to policies without at least advising the others.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks Ossian that helped a lot.

I asked the second question because we arent building the network for our own company so it should be foolproof

But if the last applied change would win i know enough.

Thanks for awnsering!

Comment

No problem
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X