Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the different ways to apply different password settings to OU's?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the different ways to apply different password settings to OU's?

I have a default domain policy setting that is applied to all users in active directory. But I want to apply a different password setting for one OU. I created a GPO and applied to the OU. I even enforced the GPO and Blocked Inheritance on that OU. Still only the default domain policy applies.

Re: What are the different ways to apply different password settings to OU's?

What OS are you running?? I would presume at least Server 2008 as thats when granular passowrd policies came into effect.

Try having a read through this

http://www.windowsecurity.com/articl...08-part-1.html

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
      What OS are you running?? I would presume at least Server 2008 as thats when granular passowrd policies came into effect.

Try having a read through this
      I am running windows server 2008 R2. I checked the link. Got what I wanted. But is there any other way other than Fine grained password policies.

Comment

There are three ways of applying different password policies:
        1) Different domains (policies are applied only at domain level GPOs)
        2) Security filtering (by group - not OU) of multiple domain level password policies
        3) Fine Grained Passwords

IMHO take a step back and ask WHY you really need different password policies

Note while you can configure password settings at site or OU level GPOs, they will never apply -- this is by design
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Can you explain to me how to set different passwords using the Security Filtering?

Comment

There is a very helpful website called which lets you get answers for questions like this:
            https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=GP...GIKV8QPNqpz5AQ

Note security filtering of GPOs can cause performance issues as security group membership must be evaluated every time the GPO is applied.

Again, WHY do you need multiple password policies?
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I just want one set of users I have in an OU to have a very strong password policy,while all other users to have a minimal policy. So I want to set a different password policy for the OU. I can't create a fine grained policy for all the users in that OU. So how do I go about it? I can't create a separate domain just for those users.
              Last edited by radhakrishnan88; 14th June 2012, 11:34.

Comment

Follow the link posted previously
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

No you create a group and add the users to that group then apply the policy to the group.

Did you even read the article i posted?? It explains exactly how to do what you want.

Comment

Working...
                  X