Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active Directory Restore

Hi all,

Can some guide me on the following.......

How do you go about restoring a domain controller after it has been dcpromo'd out from active directory.

For example we have 3 domain controllers Server1 Server2 and Server3.

I want to remove server2 from being a domain controller by running dcpromo, but first i'm going to ntbackup/systemstate the three servers.

If I soon find out I need server2 back as a domain controller, I would like to restore it from my system state backup.

How to I go about this? do I only restore server 2 and use authoritive restore options or do I need to restore the other servers(1&3) as well.

The reason I ask this is once I've dcpromo server2 out then server 1&3 won't know about server2 as a domain controller.

Hope this makes sense.
    Cheers and regards

Mark

Re: Active Directory Restore

If you back up Server2 as a DC, then demote it, the other DCs won't simply accept it as a running DC if you decide to restore the backup. The demotion is supposed to include deletion of references in the metadata of AD.

If you're going to demote Server2, do it. Best to use 'ntdsutil' to clean up the metadata on the other DCs as well. Run backups of your 2 remaining DCs at this point.

After all that, if you decide you want to bring S2 back, you can simply re-run DCPROMO to bring it back up to a DC. That would be the same as promoting any other member server to a DC.
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Active Directory (AD) is a system service designed by Ms. AD is used as a allocated data source that contains all the information regarding a company and its workers. It is also used as a system management device that allows system staff to handle sources (like printers) and customers on the system (computer records and groups), determine team guidelines, arrange application across the system and use up-dates to all the system computer systems from the host.
      http://www.techyv.com/article/active...backup-restore

Comment

CHEERS GUYS,

thanks for your input........ RICKLESP response confirmed what I was already thinking.

mark

Comment

Glad to help. Pls don't forget to include rep points!
          *RicklesP*
          MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X