Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a company and need to move AD

Hi All,

My first post here so go easy on me. I've done some searching but probably can't think of the right way to search for what I'm looking for.

Essentially, my company has recently purchased another organization that was part of a larger group. Their setup in W2K8 with a single domain. What we need to do is move the client PCs acquired with the purchase off of their domain and on to a new one that we are creating. The long term plan is to wipe each machine and add to the new domain but in the interim, to prevent down time, we still have the client PCs authenticating against the old domain, generally over slow DSL links.
    My first thought was to put a BDC in each office to alleviate latency and we've done this in one location so far.
    What I'm also looking at is whether it is possible to build a subdomain of the top level one, move the client PCs on to the subdomain and then "break" it away from the top level domain so that it stands alone and is under my control. So without further adieu:

1) Is this possible?
    2) Am I just creating more work for myself?
    3) Any other suggestions

Thanks

Re: Bought a company and need to move AD

AD runs best when you keep the design as simple as possible. In your scenario, a sub domain would be deployed at remote sites in the more extreme scenarios where you really need to conserve and control bandwidth. Sub domains do increase costs and adds management. It also complicates future upgrades.

My preference is to spend in the area of improving the network links and keep your single domain as simple as possible.
    JM @ IT Training & Consulting
    http://www.itgeared.com

Comment

How many users / computers / sites are you talking about?
      As said, KISS rules -- subdomains normally complicate things a great deal

IMHO establish a vpn to your own domain, if possible put a DC (there is no such thing as a BDC any more) into the site and join the computers to the new domain. Profiles, of course, will be an issue -- if you don't just scrap them!
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

How many machines are you talking about?
        Is there a good business relationship between the two companies?
        Is this other organization limited to one building?
        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

have you looked into ADMT ?

How big is the domain.. it might be relativley easy to do with a quick bang,, ?
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Also, review the systems of the other Company that rely on their AD and how it is currently used. For example, Exchange, LDAP lookup, HR systems, File services such as DFS etc.

Comment

Install a new (secondary) DC in the old Domain. Remove the new DC from the Domain and sever ALL connections with the old Domain/network. Seize Roles. http://www.petri.com/seizing_fsmo_roles.htm

Do metadata cleanup and remove any Servers that were present in old Domain.

Rename to the new required Domain. When client workstations logon they will pickup the new Domain name and still be connected to the DC.
              http://www.petri.com/rename-windows-...ontrollers.htm

Rename 2008 Domain - more links

This seems too easy so what have I missed?
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
              X