Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to add additional Domain Controllers to an existing Domain?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to add additional Domain Controllers to an existing Domain?

I have a server called server1 with Windows 2008 R2 standard installed. I ran the add role services from server manager and installed AD DS and then ran dcpromo and installed a domain controller on the new domain domain1.com. It was all working fine with a client machine client1. My ip address for server1 is 172.19.3.212. Now I installed Windows Server 2008 standard on a new server called server2. I ran the add role services and installed AD DS. The ip of server 2 is 172.19.3.214. I have set the preferred dns server of server2 to 172.19.3.212(ip of server1). Now when I tried to add server2 as a additional domain controller to the domain1.com using dcpromo, I get an error message saying "An Active Directory domain controller for the domain 'domain1.com' could not be contacted."
    When I ping 172.19.3.214(ip of server2) from server1 and client1, it works perfectly. But when I ping 172.19.3.212(ip of server1) from server2 I get errors like Request timed out and Destination host unreachable. Please help me to solve this problem.

PS: I am new here. If i have posted this question in the wrong forum please forgive me

Re: How to add additional Domain Controllers to an existing Domain?

We will move the thread to the AD forum

First, if your first DC is Server 2008 R2, you may have problems with installing a Server 2008 DC -- it depends on whether you set the functional level of your initial domain to 2008 R2 or not

Secondly, can you post the result of an IPCONFIG/ALL from both Server1 and Server2 so we can troubleshoot the networking issues
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
    X