Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need to create "alias" name to domain name when join pc to ad

Hello,
    need to create "alias" name to domain name when join pc to AD.

The domain name is very long. For years when join machines to domain short name was used (I call it alias here). After some work (in positive way ), the short name used option gone.

How to redo this?

Thanks.
    "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Re: need to create "alias" name to domain name when join pc to ad

The netbios name???

Comment

You are right. It is Domain NetBios name.
      More info:
      2003 DCs were replaced by 2008. Functional level is 2003.

I read about Domain NetBios name. It used for before AD 2000 pcs and servers.
      In our case this name was transparently used for joining xp and + machines to domain.

Any idea how it could be fixed?
      "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Comment

Have you removed WINS??

How are you NIC's configured??

Comment

I know that WINS was stopped. But later on was started because some old apps are depending on it.
          What to check in WINS?
          And NIC's question is actually good... I will check Monday and talk to the guy who replaced DC's. There is pretty tricky stuff... I know he placed a DC out of a subnet. So big group of computers have to go through the firewall for authentication. Don't ask why ... It was the only solution to resolve historicaly chronical issue
          And after your brief questions I guess my question may be not resolvable.
          Counting that a replication between multiple DCs was properly reestablished, my question looks not so important if undoable.

But worth to try...

So the DC for network 172.0.0.0 has the address 10.x.x.x.
          WINS server has address 172.x.x.x
          Basically, requests made to DC should be transfered to WINS and WINS should do the resolution of NetBios name to FQDN. Correct?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X